Warlock Tunnel Hull Question

Notices

Warlock Tunnel Hull Question

Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 382 Likes on 153 Posts
Question Warlock Tunnel Hull Question

I have some questions as to the design of my 25 SXT cat . There is something that looks like wings or air accelerators at the beginning of each tunnel and I always wondered what they are and what they were designed to do . I haven't seen these on other cat hulls . I also took some pics inside the sponsons and was wondering what the honeycomb material is and what is thought of the layup . It must be strong because this cat has been spun out flipped and run pretty hard most of its life and shows absolutely no stress cracks . I am anxious to learn all I can about this design and I know the teaching talent is here . Thank you , deep

Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The wings at the Beginning of the tunnel would be called "Canards" (Little Wings) they are mostly for looks, does look cool. The pickle fork design in general is from necessity. When a Cat hull stands up on the transom like a Blow over, there's less wing surface to help it blow backwards. imagine if the pickle fork wasn't there, there would be a lot more wing surface to assist in it going over. The tunnel is packing air towards the rear, that's where the weight is and that's where the lift is needed. Make any sense? (I Have Been Drinking )

Last edited by fastdonzi; 09-18-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Registered

Also, From the Pics you posted the Glass work in that boat is Very Nice.. Where they bonded the hull and deck looks great, and it looks like they used good material. Now for the name of the Honeycomb core I can't remember (CMS )
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Thanks bro , have a beer on me . Also hoping to hear from T2x , Steve1 and glassdave . Yea I know , it has a pod .
Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the deep
Thanks bro , have a beer on me . Also hoping to hear from T2x , Steve1 and glassdave . Yea I know , it has a pod .
the honeycomb looking material that is on the outside..?? the fiberglass material or the stuff under the glass? the majority of the boat looks to be layed up with 1708 stitch may,,vary strong and is most likely vinylester resin as well..

the stuff with the holes in it is coremat..(Coremat®
Coremat® is a microsphere filled, random laid, chopped fiber polyester fabric with good conformability, that is used as a laminate bulking and print-control mat. Ideal for adding stiffness to laminates and molds.)

+/- 45degree
Contains double bias(17oz) stitched at 45degrees
along with one layer of 3/4oz mat.
Thickness: 0.044"

Last edited by FIXX; 09-18-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by FIXX
the honeycomb looking material that is on the outside..?? the fiberglass material or the stuff under the glass? the majority of the boat looks to be layed up with 1708 stitch may,,vary strong and is most likely vinylester resin as well..

the stuff with the holes in it is coremat..(Coremat®
Coremat® is a microsphere filled, random laid, chopped fiber polyester fabric with good conformability, that is used as a laminate bulking and print-control mat. Ideal for adding stiffness to laminates and molds.)

+/- 45degree
Contains double bias(17oz) stitched at 45degrees
along with one layer of 3/4oz mat.
Thickness: 0.044"
Thanks brother Fixx . I'm a gear head and know next to nothing about layup materials and their strength . I can see honeycomb shapes through the glass and was curious if that is what most hi performance boat builders used at the time and why . Circa 1999
Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The things on the front of the tunnels that you are calling wings were designed in there to help avoid stuffing, the theory is that they will impact the water and force the bow back up out of the water due to the angle they would hit the water at.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Anti stuffing device , good idea . I wonder why no one else uses that design . Would these cause the hull to become unstable at a given high speed , looks like they would create lift and not only upon stuffing . The boat currently runs 83gps as if on rails .
Old 09-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is most likely under the 1708 is woven roven,,tuff stuff..(Coarsely woven fiberglass roving used for fast buildup in applications where cost savings are a factor. Best in flat or only gently contoured surfaces.) this stuff is hard to wet out so it also adds a lot of stiffness to the boat..i believe all the old technologie is being used still but adapted to the new vacuum bagging system..

Anything you need to knoe you can find here..http://www.uscomposites.com/
Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
Also, From the Pics you posted the Glass work in that boat is Very Nice.. Where they bonded the hull and deck looks great, and it looks like they used good material. Now for the name of the Honeycomb core I can't remember (CMS )
+1 Looks real good...especially in the location it is at. Some glass monkey had to climb up in there with the materials and lay it.

Last edited by JRider; 09-19-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.