Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How does one achieve good sound in a go-fast boat? >

How does one achieve good sound in a go-fast boat?

Notices

How does one achieve good sound in a go-fast boat?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does one achieve good sound in a go-fast boat?

The factory stereo system on my 36 Outlaw is weak at best. I plan to switch out the amps and speakers with better, more powerful amps as well as better speakers, however, the speaker locations appear to be an inherent limitation on the sound quality. Given the design of the boat, and for that matter most boats, all the speakers are located down low and close to the floor of the cockpit, as opposed a height closer to ear level.

I notice that the ski boats with the speakers mounted high on towers produce a much more dynamic sound. Any thoughts on how to improve the sound quality.

Is it possible to get good sound out of a go-fast style boat. If so, how? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on where you want it. Inside the boat or behind it in the water.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F the tunes. Get some good power and some dry exhaust. Best sound ever...
Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mid/high speakers mounted as high as possible. Clean powerful amps, proper setup.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Just pull up next to someone with high end gear and save your money for gas and beer!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

put your speakers high then, like the ski boats. except instead of a tower use a wing like from the 80's.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Do yourself a favor and buy some quality stuff. More is not better. Speaker quality and placement are the most important.

All these boats with a ton of crappy speakers all over the place are totally stupid. A guy that takes basic acoustics course knows better. Problem is that boat systems are designed and built by people that have zero acoustics training and don't understand the most basic concepts.

Also so much of the car/marine audio gear as almost zero engineering and testing behind it. You guys would be shocked if you saw the actual measurements of the brands you think are so great.

Buy products from company's that do actual research and testing, not from a company that just buys crap from China and puts their brand on it.

MP
Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

These are speaker companies that are legit.

JBL
JL Audio
Focal

I am partial to JBL since its owned by Harman the worlds largest and beat audio company. I also work for Harman so I am biased :-)
Old 09-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a JL fan also but have seen some impressive Wet Sounds systems that are loud as hell and clear what is your opinion of them? If you boat in salt water JBL and Focal are not really options.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Wet sounds is actually pretty good, I dont know much about the company but it looks like they buy stuff off the shelf. They do have some horn loaded compression drivers that are pretty good but you have to have the depth.

Most car audio speakers will work good for awhile in salt water. The speakers are the cheap part so I would rather have a better speaker and replace it every couple years. The problem is that nobody makes real high quality marine speaker.

JL is always good but I am not a fan of the 8" coax or component systems. They don't sound very good, IMO. They have lots of bass and highs but the integration is not good.

MP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.