Poker Runs - one simple rule

Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the answer for Poker Run Safety -

SLOW THE PHUCK DOWN

80 - 100 MAX MPH

Break the field down into speed/size i.e.: 24 - 28ft. 70mph, 28 - 35ft. 85 mph, 35 - 42ft. 100mph....or some variation. Boats must be of size to run in group but can run in slower groups if desired.
Boats must stay in group from start to finish. A 24ft. boat has no business running 100mph next to a 42ft. with a family of 5.

Elimination with no exception if a boat breaks class.

Official Pace Boats For Each Group
Official Sweep/Safety Boats for Each Group.

Now I'm sure this is going to upset the 100-200 mph boat owners - take your anger out on a race course equipped with the proper safety personnel and resources. That's were your 150mph boat belongs. Just keep in the back of your mind...you might be the next guy that gets pulled out of the water.

I'm sure this wouldn't end all accidents but I think it would sure help.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I agree, I think many of the poker runs take place on waters with not enough space for 100+ boats and half running well over 100 mph, I am all for speed and all that, but if you are on a ocean, or great lake I can see it, juts not on all these small inland lakes.....asking for these issues when you are running 150 mph and have a tiny lake with no space...
Originally Posted by Need-the-Speed
I have the answer for Poker Run Safety -

SLOW THE PHUCK DOWN

80 - 100 MAX MPH

Break the field down into speed/size i.e.: 24 - 28ft. 70mph, 28 - 35ft. 85 mph, 35 - 42ft. 100mph....or some variation. Boats must be of size to run in group but can run in slower groups if desired.
Boats must stay in group from start to finish. A 24ft. boat has no business running 100mph next to a 42ft. with a family of 5.

Elimination with no exception if a boat breaks class.

Official Pace Boats For Each Group
Official Sweep/Safety Boats for Each Group.

Now I'm sure this is going to upset the 100-200 mph boat owners - take your anger out on a race course equipped with the proper safety personnel and resources. That's were your 150mph boat belongs. Just keep in the back of your mind...you might be the next guy that gets pulled out of the water.

I'm sure this wouldn't end all accidents but I think it would sure help.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am all for a mandatied safety course. Heck I have posted numerous times, I would be ok with having to take one every 2-4 years to keep yor boat license. If you can't take the time out of your busy schedule to take a refresher course every couple of years, than you haven't earned the privlege to operate a boat. Now with that being said, I agree with SummerObssesion... Mandating a safety course will not stop the people who operate in an unsafe manner.... It doesn't take a safety course to know the difference from right and wrong when it comes to driving in a reckless manner...
Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Now with that being said, I agree with SummerObssesion... Mandating a safety course will not stop the people who operate in an unsafe manner.... It doesn't take a safety course to know the difference from right and wrong when it comes to driving in a reckless manner...

totally agree, while u cant teach stupid people, my underlying issue was to point out that some people have the wrong idea of what their rights are and how they can operate a boat in general. which is all covered in that course or similar ones. and since poker runs are run on public water ways on non closed areas that they are held to these basic boating rules and regulations.

I think some are still under the impression that since they paid to be in a PR that somehow thats a "hallpass" for driving like an idiot. im really stuck on the fly-bys on you tube, and that some on here think that its ok or legal conduct. I say try that move on a sheriff/LE boat and tell them how theres "no speed limit" postings.

also i'm not saying that this is the single answer but should be apart of overall education, especially since our type of boating along with PR's is an elevated skill level of boating vs say someone out in a 16' whaler.