Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How reliable are those big hp motors? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30347-how-reliable-those-big-hp-motors.html)

dockrocker 08-06-2002 05:50 PM

Originally posted by PhantomChaos
Here is testimonial on Pfaff stuff from DMAN (R. Songrath) and Board God #1.

http://www.pfaffengines.com/test.htm

Wow! 600 hours is pretty good for stock Merc 'black' engine!

Flat Deck 08-06-2002 05:54 PM

1000hp Sterlings, I change the oil at 20 hours. Mike says" DON"T
TOUCH ANYTHING and get them back to me at 50 hrs ". By the way 50 hrs is further than you think when you can cruise at 80-
85 mph.

racerXmarine 08-06-2002 06:32 PM

I have ran joey griffen 800's they last about 100hrs. Currently I run Eickert 675's I change the oil every twenty and they say to freshen them up every 200hrs. Joey's 800's were ok but Keith's 675's run cleaner, faster and have alot more torque.
The trick is drives if you have bravos talk to the guys at machine max they seem have the fix. Also the Imco SC's have been holding up well for some of my friends.

racefever 08-06-2002 06:36 PM

boost is everthing. the moore boost the less time you can get out of a engine. i bet 200hrs is 5lbs or less. i am running 10lbs. and plan on rebuild after 70hrs. to be safe. iam by no means an engine expert. 528cu. 420 megabolwer, superchiller, oil cooler, nickerson carbs, 18qt. oil pan and best internal parts i could by. bravo1 drive race gears platinum shafts 25 hrs so far and praying. pushing 850 to 900 HP.good luck!!:cool:

sean stinson 08-06-2002 08:25 PM

Re: How reliable are those big hp motors?

Originally posted by dockrocker
I've always wondered how reliable those 800, 900, 1000+ hp motors from Sterling, Chief, Pfaff, etc, are... I've heard that Merc recommends 25 hour rebuilds or refreshenings on the 900SC's, is this true?

Yep, it's a slow day at the office..... ;)

Merc 900 were in need of valve train work at about the 50 hour mark. And the new 1050 comes with a free rebuild at 50 hours so your guess is as good as mine. One thing I do know is they always run the fastest and the best right before they launch their guts. Been bit by the bug too many times.

Miller 08-06-2002 08:43 PM

From what I understand, driver/throttleman abuse has a lot to do with how long big blower motors will last. So, a conservative person will probably get twice as much life out of a pair as Stinson ever will, since he forgets that the throttles have 2 directions....right Sean???? :D

blueamerican 08-06-2002 10:01 PM

Change the oil every 20 Hrs., listen for valve taps, don't over rev, (put a rev limiter on it), I have an Offshore Performance 588 Tall Deck N/A roller, 10:1 engine that keeps on ticking, just like Timex.

RiverGirl 08-06-2002 10:31 PM

Cheif Engines!

ASK TONTO...... HE KNOWS!:D

TONTO Tow in Savannah, GA...?

YEP!
Not one single hiccup, cough, or sneeze....ALL WEEKEND!

I complimented TONTO.
Mentioned the fact I was quite surprised
with the "strain" of pulling several boats and playing..w/ the big motors.
He has been out on several runs since and she's still going strong!
So , proof is in the pud'dn.

Cheif Engines!

... eeehh...I forgot excatly what TONTO is running .... but...
I want to say twin 900's...
help me out here sweetie am I right?....;) :D

LEOPAJM 08-06-2002 10:44 PM

Famous last words......

"....man this thing is really runnin great, dialed in and hooked u....

............what was that ??????" :eek:

dockrocker 08-06-2002 10:55 PM

Re: Famous last words......

Originally posted by LEOPAJM
"....man this thing is really runnin great, dialed in and hooked u....

............what was that ??????" :eek:

LOL - isn't that the truth! :)