Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How reliable are those big hp motors? >

How reliable are those big hp motors?

Notices

How reliable are those big hp motors?

Old 08-06-2002, 11:06 PM
cbudge

Default Pfaff 598 NA 800 hp

120 hours no problems, change oil every 25 hours, Pfaff says its just getting broke in.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:27 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

MAINTENANCE!!! Worth it though! Works on everything!
Old 08-07-2002, 12:50 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Miller
From what I understand, driver/throttleman abuse has a lot to do with how long big blower motors will last. So, a conservative person will probably get twice as much life out of a pair as Stinson ever will, since he forgets that the throttles have 2 directions....right Sean????
Seems to me I didn't hear any complaints when I blasted you across the Pacific in the NorTech, bro. In fact I think the question was raised on how do you keep the RPM's within a couple hundred of the sustained RPM while running in the rough at over 5000? It seems to jog my memory but I must say I do have that A.D. whatever you call it sh@*.

Hey bro long time how you doing?

Sean
Old 08-07-2002, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Blower engines have come a long way---they're not hard to get them to run these days. They make a ton of power, sound cool and look awesome under the hatches. Blowers are also much harder and stressful on the engines internal parts, transmissions and drives too. Anytime you add a blower you've just made things that much more complicated and the potential for failure has at least doubled. They require a much higher maintenance schedule and can cut an engine's life in half as compare to a N/A engine. And when they let go the damage can be a little more catastrophic. I run N/A engines and try to keep things a little simpler. If I want more power I will probably go to larger cubic inches vs. a blower-----either way you pay, but I must admit that I do have a healthy amount of repsect for the guys that run their engines with blowers. I guess it comes down to how much SMACK you're willing to lay down and what chances you're willing to take. Just my preference and .02
Old 08-07-2002, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean, I will never complain about going fast! I was just pointing out that when you push a pair of motors every time out, well they won't last as long as they would for someone who runs them well below WOT on most occassions. Since, you (which is what I like about you) don't know how to drive at anything other than WOT, your motors tend to give out a bit earlier than some!

How's life? Are you going to be in Cleveland this weekend?
Old 08-07-2002, 12:12 PM
DEVIL MAN

It is a very easy subject...keep the oil changed and 90% of keeping a big engine running and out of the shop is up to the
driver/throttleman. The harder you run the boat...the more rebuilds you will be achieving!!!

Good luck!!!

DMan

Old 08-07-2002, 12:51 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Miller
Sean, I will never complain about going fast! I was just pointing out that when you push a pair of motors every time out, well they won't last as long as they would for someone who runs them well below WOT on most occassions. Since, you (which is what I like about you) don't know how to drive at anything other than WOT, your motors tend to give out a bit earlier than some!

How's life? Are you going to be in Cleveland this weekend?
I was just bustin your balls bro. I was going to Cleveland but I am now packing and getting ready to move to the right coast. Starting over there at a new shop in a couple of weeks.

Sean
Old 08-07-2002, 01:48 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

I know you were busting my balls bro. That's why I was just giving it back to you!

Where are you going on the right coast? What shop are you joining? It wouldn't have anything to do with Apache, would it???
Old 08-07-2002, 02:13 PM
Wild Horses

"someone said they got 600 hours ! "

That may have been me. It is actually 707 after the weekend but these are just stock baby '89 420's. I run them WOT 40% of the time at 5200 - 5300. Now just this weekend I have a MAJOR oil leak that will be looked into this weekend. I'll power wash the bilge and on our trip this weekend look for the squirt. I'm going through about a quart every 4 hours right now and when I pulled the plug last night .... guess where it is going. In the bilge.

WH

Old 08-07-2002, 05:56 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

stinson where are you moving too????

Quick Reply: How reliable are those big hp motors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.