Cig tg 38 vs Fountain lightning 35/38 >

Cig tg 38 vs Fountain lightning 35/38

Notices

Cig tg 38 vs Fountain lightning 35/38

Old 09-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cig tg 38 vs Fountain lightning 35/38

Ok.... I know that there will be many passionate posts but just looking for knowledgable opinions... I am looking to go back to a V bottom from by 33 Daytona... Bottom line wife not a big fan of the cat... And I am a smart man 😜...

Anyways looking at either a 38 TG or Fountain 35/38 lightning... Would be looking at 2002-2007 ish years....with medium power 525-600 hp I would expect... Would like to know opinions on ride, speed, overall comfort.... Or anything else anyone would like to add.... I have been in several fountains buy never in a Cig.... Like the looks of both boats, kind of like the 38 TG a bit more overall look but could go either way....

Not looking for any bashing just good facts...
Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

38 TS top gun any day of the week. Pound for pound you need to compare the 38 cig to a 42 fountain. Fountains are a tick faster. I've owned both and the Cig is a rough water, no rattles or spider cracking machine. Beaks are a good boat also.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Registered

Go for the Cig 38 TG instead they look better and are more heavier which of course means that they are better for going through the choppy waters. Plus the Cig. has the old school offshore look with modern technology. You would have the best of both worlds their. With the Fountain you can tell it's a fountain from far away Yes it is distinctive looking with more speed. However The throttles in the Cigarette are on the right side which I prefer. Whereas the Fountain has them on the left side which doesn't thrill me to much.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Registered

Would like to add opinions on years that are best or to stay away from? Example pre-step flat hull TG versus step hulls? Anything to stay away from or a must have in either the TG or Lightning....
Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.topspeed.com/boats/founta...g-ar38410.html

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=8

Cig 1000 pounds heavier. Fountain 12 mph faster. Similar power
Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

So how much different is the rough water handling of the TG with the 1000#???
Old 09-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Registered

Cig guys or anti fountain guys swear they are better. I bet the difference is negligible. I don't have the personal experience on those 2 to say for sure but you'll get a million responses telling you the cig will handle 8s just fine. Lol. I've talked to plenty of 38 fountain owners who have no complaints
Old 09-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I bet the difference is negligible. I don't have the personal experience on those 2
Boat tests reviews only go so far. I was a fountain cheerleader till I bought my Cig. No rattles, no thuds just a knife thru butter in real rough water leaving Tampa bay into the gulf. It changed my mind. There's a thread in the Cig section a friend wrote up after driving it at loto in the rough directly after the shoot out. I've had several Black Thunder 43s and a 46 and it runs better IMO than those did at loto. Either one will run but IMO, there's a reason there's a 1 on the side
Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Boat tests reviews only go so far. I was a fountain cheerleader till I bought my Cig. No rattles, no thuds just a knife thru butter in real rough water leaving Tampa bay into the gulf. It changed my mind. There's a thread in the Cig section a friend wrote up after driving it at loto in the rough directly after the shoot out. I've had several Black Thunder 43s and a 46 and it runs better IMO than those did at loto. Either one will run but IMO, there's a reason there's a 1 on the side

The 1 on the side is outdated. Last time cig was even in a race? Yeah I don't know either. I'm not bashing them by any means. If you noticed I never said which one was only offering up some info. Trying to be helpful. I do like the look and styling and interior of a fountain better. Cig is a timeless classic.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I been in many Cigs, and also been on 38 and a 42 Fountains....the Cig will rock in rough waters, especially a great lake, the Fountain will do the job also but will not get beat up in a Cig, I was in a 38 lightning in 2-3 footers and was slammed all over the boat and the driver was not new to boating... fact is the Fountain is lighter and has less deadrise, the Cig is heavier and deep V... Founbtain will be faster for sure hands down... no rattles and things slamming around on the Cig...

The Cig has more freeboard and cabin space, moire cockpit space... Fountain is faster... lol

A local buddy has had Fountains for years.... bought a TS gun this spring, said in Lake Erie he will never have anything but a Cig again....and he LOVES Fountains..

The Fountain is faster.....all else to me is Cig all the way....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.