How long will these drives last? Video >

How long will these drives last? Video

Notices

How long will these drives last? Video

Old 10-01-2013, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Wow. The 3.5 pulleys at 5800 rpm sound like something from outer space, I'm scared to keep it there long. Thanks for the set up, the engines are different animals this year!

I may crank up that limit and hit that same spot this weekend. I run a tablet for gps and the speedo app max speed memory only stays until u shut it down, need a screen capture of triple digits
I personally think backfires kill these little blowers. In the event of a backfire the angle cut gears ramp off each other and knock the blower out of time by bending the timing shims and/or shattering the bearing retainer plate.

Do not run out of gas! I had a stuck sending unit on my SB side and it was a very expensive malfunction. When I switched all to the port tank and tried to start it BANG backfire and then my blower seized later that day.

Last edited by JRider; 10-01-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
I personally think backfires kill these little blowers. In the event of a backfire the angle cut gears ramp off each other and knock the blower out of time by bending the timing shims and/or shattering the bearing retainer plate.

Do not run out of gas! I had a stuck sending unit on my SB side and it was a very expensive malfunction. When I switched all to the port tank and tried to start it BANG backfire and then my blower seized later that day.
A backfire is never a good thing! I do my best to avoid it. The backfire at 5800 + definitely woke us is and got me off the sticks. I cruised after that and few seconds later in the video you can hear me goose it one more time to make sure it was ok. Scary stuff
Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SWEET VIDEO DUDE !!!

You'll never get that kind of reward from a cruiser LOL
Congrats on the new ride.
I wouldn't sweat it to much in decent seas like yours were but I'd be hard pressed to repeat that type of ride in rougher water.
It won't be the boat or the powerplant that'll break, it'll be the outdrive.
My buds 40 Outlaw had eaten several XR's behind his 575's when they were stock. Last winter he urgraded to Dyers 871 575kit and picked up noticeably more speed with no chillers, they were brutally affordable like less than 7K. I don't think he's pushed her that hard more than once or twice since. He had a thread here then while doring his installation. Try searching "troper" and look for 575 in dec or jan. He's looking to get B-Maxes soon.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 10-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by huskyrider
SWEET VIDEO DUDE !!!

You'll never get that kind of reward from a cruiser LOL
Congrats on the new ride.
I wouldn't sweat it to much in decent seas like yours were but I'd be hard pressed to repeat that type of ride in rougher water.
It won't be the boat or the powerplant that'll break, it'll be the outdrive.
My buds 40 Outlaw had eaten several XR's behind his 575's when they were stock. Last winter he urgraded to Dyers 871 575kit and picked up noticeably more speed with no chillers, they were brutally affordable like less than 7K. I don't think he's pushed her that hard more than once or twice since. He had a thread here then while doring his installation. Try searching "troper" and look for 575 in dec or jan. He's looking to get B-Maxes soon.

See ya,
Kelly
Thanks Kelly!

I saw that 871 thread, definitely the hot set up...but again, how much can these drives take...and how much more can my wallet take?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They'll take it till they munch it, LOL
and unless your very well off you'll feel the pinch of every upgrade purchased.
My biggest fear would be reentry from being airborn at those speeds.
To the best I remember Toms boat never came out of the water when he spit drives.
Heck, two years in a row he ate one on the Toys for Tots run down to Port O'Conner in decent water,
I'm sure boat weight also plays heavily into his misfortunes on the drives.
I'm curious, what's the weight of your 38 with fuel aboard?

See ya,
Kelly
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by huskyrider
They'll take it till they munch it, LOL
and unless your very well off you'll feel the pinch of every upgrade purchased.
My biggest fear would be reentry from being airborn at those speeds.
To the best I remember Toms boat never came out of the water when he spit drives.
Heck, two years in a row he ate one on the Toys for Tots run down to Port O'Conner in decent water,
I'm sure boat weight also plays heavily into his misfortunes on the drives.
I'm curious, what's the weight of your 38 with fuel aboard?

See ya,
Kelly
No idea, I am sure it is much lighter than the 40 outlaw, but no clue

Fountain lists the boat at 8900 dry, twin 115 gallon fuel tanks
Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4bus
The sad part is it's just me and 4 girls in the boat the whole run, and I have no pics!
Wait...no pics or screen capture or recalls of the speed, no pics of the girls....you are slippin' bro! Get on that!

I'll be wearing my Fountain t-shirt tomorrow on Mild Thunder's ride...he asked if I would squeeze into the driver's bolster WITH him to make it feel more like the AT. Should I be concerned?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4Bus Sweet vid!!!!! Love how you had that cam mounted on the back, catches the sound of the engines not wind noise, u may want to pick up spare drive just in case LOL
Old 10-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Wait...no pics or screen capture or recalls of the speed, no pics of the girls....you are slippin' bro! Get on that!

I'll be wearing my Fountain t-shirt tomorrow on Mild Thunder's ride...he asked if I would squeeze into the driver's bolster WITH him to make it feel more like the AT. Should I be concerned?

I am slacking big time! Who knew a speedo app would forget the max speed as soon as u close it?

Better bring a bag of pre popped corn with you on the fountain!
Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 4,251 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Too bad the Drive Guardian has not yet been fully put thru the paces and tested on bravo drives, you could put the throttles down and no matter what the drive would only see the preset (custom per application) TQ.

Its like a clutch between the motor and drive.

IMOP its the answer for broken drives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.