Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What boating on a budget really means.... >

What boating on a budget really means....

Notices

What boating on a budget really means....

Old 10-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts
Default What boating on a budget really means....

I think I may have gotten 6 total hours use out of my boat this season. Rough calculation: I think between the hull, the motor, trailer, parts, supplies, bottom work and fuel injection work I have spent an easy 9 grand.

$9000 divided by 6 hours divided by 60 minutes in an hour = $25 a minute and that's not counting gas.........

Hopefully next year I can increase the hour factor.....
Old 10-02-2013, 06:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I think I may have gotten 6 total hours use out of my boat this season. Rough calculation: I think between the hull, the motor, trailer, parts, supplies, bottom work and fuel injection work I have spent an easy 9 grand.

$9000 divided by 6 hours divided by 60 minutes in an hour = $25 a minute and that's not counting gas.........

If you REALLY want to keep boating, you better stop calculating how much it's actually costing you!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

With the crazy weather here in the south (30+ days of rain) and you rigging your new Avanti I can believe it. It costs me $60.00 in fuel a day to blast around the lake not including everything else associated. With my cat finally dialed in maintenance has only been LU fluid changes. I haven't even put plugs in it this year. I love my promaxes! Definately my cheapest season ever in a decade!

Last edited by bulletbob; 10-02-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i was straddling the engine one day with a beer in my hand. spousal unit asks-"why do you hafta drink to enjoy boating?" i said..."i drink to kill the PAIN of boating!!!" and i am looking at sick stingers old excalibur. hull, gimball, and most rigging for cheap. counting what it'll cost and figure it is a better deal to buy a whole running one. yeah, it'll break, but you don't have to buy everything, convert it, install it, and THEN have it break...but like perfect storm said, if you like to count what it costs, be an accountant, not a boat guy.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 10-02-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given all that, Phragle......
... Throw in the rain, wind, threatening overcast days, small craft warnings, algae blooms....
.... you did better than a lot of boaters in our area!!!! Worst boating year I can ever remember
Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

so basically I'm actually saving you money by not having the bottom work done yet lol Plus by boating with us to the color cruise and the tall ships thing you there by increase your actual boating hours further adding to the savings . . . . and at the end of the day theres plenty of lunch meat left over that you dont hafta go to the store for a few days
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

This has been my secret plan all along <insert evil laugh here> make friends with the guy who fixes your boat!! that way when he has your boat to fix he takes you out on his!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Registered

Quit yer b!tchin.

I figure my drag car costs me about $300 per pass.....and a pass lasts less than three seconds. Hell, I dropped $9K on the car this year and it never left the garage.

Good thing I bought the boat to save some cash

Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Perfect Storm
If you REALLY want to keep boating, you better stop calculating how much it's actually costing you!
rite on with that bro.it will make you sad quick.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

This has been my secret plan all along <insert evil laugh here> make friends with the guy who fixes your boat!! that way when he has your boat to fix he takes you out on his!!!
well played....well played my friend lol
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.