Notices

New #5 lower gear cases

Old 10-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New #5 lower gear cases

I'm contemplating having #5 SSM lower gear cases manufactured, to complement the #5 and #3A gears and propshafts that are already in stock. I'm testing the water to see if there is sufficient interest to justify an investment to do so. If you have #5 drives, or know someone that does, would you be interested in NEW #5 lower gear cases? These would be complete with the case and nose cone assembly and completely machined but would require all the internal components. Call if you have concerns or questions and lets talk. They will be priced in the $4500ea. range. LOTS of specialized work goes into the manufacture and machining of these. I had a tour of the company, that did the cases for Mercury and it was a fabulous experience. This company would be doing the machining, if I decide to proceed with this. They have all the original tooling and expertise, they are just waiting for me to make a decision. Please pass this information on to anyone you know that may be interested, and have them contact me. Please note that original Mercury prints will be used and manufactured here in the USA by the company that did them for Mercury, when they were in production, as were the upper and lower gears and the propshafts that I have for the #3, #3A, #4 and the #5 SSM drives. NONE of these parts are made overseas!

Gary
612-247-7081

Last edited by RMPRam; 10-04-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great idea, it would be nice to have a drive that will hold up to big power thats not a $35.000 #6, i think mercury stopped manufacturing them because they were to good of a drive and they were losing $$ way better then a bravo way cheaper then a #6. Im about to put a SSM on my boat it would be nice to know if i busted a lower case i could get another one, im in!!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

I have available, for the #5, new straight cut, net forged splined 1.31:1 ratio upper gear sets, new LH and RH propshafts , new 1.125:1 LH and RH lower gear sets and a few new "new style" upper gear cases. I also have new splined vertical shafts and if this goes forward I will have new lower gear cases. I.E. almost everything necessary to put a new #5 together. If enough people express an interest I will move forward with the lower cases. Check the classifieds to see all the information.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be great piece of mind for anyone that has them. Price doesn't sound terrible either should it come to that.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm in Gary. I'm sure I'll be needing replacement parts in the near future.............