2006 Mercruiser 496 HO starts then stalls >

2006 Mercruiser 496 HO starts then stalls

Notices

2006 Mercruiser 496 HO starts then stalls

Old 10-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Good for you and what a relief. Post 10 explained it exactly. The basics within an hour would have pin pointed were your problem lies. Basically 3 full sides to eliminate as to where your problems lies for any mechanical problems and or running problems, the fuel supply side, the motor side and the drive / prop side.

Always start with a fuel sample for condition of fuel, always run on a known clean fresh fuel supply, test fuel pressures, read spark plugs, compression test, maybe leak down test after that then of course if its a fuel injected computer controlled motor scan it somewhere in that mix. These are the common basics that any tech should have done right up front.

If the gas tank was filled completely 100 % it is possible that the greatest tech in the world could have missed a broken fuel pick up but once the fuel level started to decrease in the gas tank and the running / starting problems came back, he should have known it was the fuel supply where the problem lies.
I finally get my bill from the second mechanic. $850. I called the service manager. He said I should be so lucky to get only billed for a few hours verses 12 hours for the mechanics time. I told him that he should fire the mechanic. He should had figured this out with in a few hours. You mechanic said my engine needed a new wiring harness. I am not a mechanic. I figured out what was wrong with the help of Offshoreonly.com boating forum. My recommendation is to send your mechanic's back to school.

In the long run, my first bill was around $1300, I think. Plus, this bill for $850 = $2150 Can you believe this for a simple broken fuel pickup hose? The first mechanic said one full pump made the other fuel pump got out. I believe neither pump was broken. They were throwing parts at my engine hoping something would stick.

At least now I am more comfortable working on my engine. Can someone answer this question? Why are the bolts metric v standard? I thought the engines were GM?

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old castings used in new packages, results in some unusual bolt configurations. I have some studs that are metric one end and American Standard the other.

Would much prefer 100% one or the other, probably metric if I had to choose.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

GM went to metric. For years now anytime we ordered new marine long blocks in which they come from GM its has metric bolts.