Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OK, lets all jump in our boats and go to Bahamas this week ! >

OK, lets all jump in our boats and go to Bahamas this week !

Notices

OK, lets all jump in our boats and go to Bahamas this week !

Old 10-11-2013, 12:20 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
This was a bit like that with winds out of the NNE we had a quartering sea. If we were going straight into it would have been impossible so we just took our time and kept going.
BTB
Regardless, it sounds like another awesome trip, cant wait to see the rest of the pics.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Bobthebuilder;4009450]OK, we had a great ride today from Marco around the bottom end of Florida, thru the Keys and on up Key Biscayne where we met friend Fred H in his Marlago just outside the Biscayne Channel and had an uneventful crossing of the Gulf Stream to Bimini. 4 hrs from Marco around to Miami and then an hour, 15 min to Bimini. Perfect day for it and glad the forecast held. I have lots of pics but no time so these few will have to do for now. I will post more when I can.

Bob

Bimini 3_Snapseed by bobthebuilder707, on Flickr

Bob, beautiful boat. How was the performance and handling compared to the Marlago? I'm starting a list of CC's to look at.

Last edited by BumSauce; 10-23-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Bimini 3_Snapseed by bobthebuilder707, on Flickr

Bob, beautiful boat. How was the performance and handling compared to the Marlago? I'm starting a list of CC's to look at.[/QUOTE]

We were 32' with 8ft beam and the Marlago was a 35' and wider beam ( not sure of exact beam but can check ). Both boats did well going out and especially in the big water coming back handled just fine. I know I am happy with the Renegade and Fred is happy with his Marlago so can't really say one is better than the other. Renegade makes a 33' with 9 ft beam which is also a great boat but I needed the narrow beam to fit in my boathouse slip when back in CAN with it.
Funny it was purchased with the smaller Ontario lakes in mind and in the first few weeks I find myself in 10 footers in the Atlantic ocean. LOL It has proved itself worthy.

Bob
Old 10-23-2013, 03:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Bob,

I'm sure you have some good pictures, please post them when you have time. The Marlago looks nice, but I don't think they are made any more. Jefferson Yachts which made them went out of business. Looking forward to seeing the new boat in Marco.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wananewboat
Bob,

I'm sure you have some good pictures, please post them when you have time. The Marlago looks nice, but I don't think they are made any more. Jefferson Yachts which made them went out of business. Looking forward to seeing the new boat in Marco.
Thanks. I will get back to my pics soon. It was a great little trip. Got sidetracked with some other things here. Gotta keep my priorities straight ! LOL
Old 10-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Registered

I have always heard (but have no experience) that you don't want to cross the stream with any N component to the wind. Glad the crossing was good, jealous you got the trip
Old 10-24-2013, 05:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by glenncal1
I have always heard (but have no experience) that you don't want to cross the stream with any N component to the wind. Glad the crossing was good, jealous you got the trip
You have heard correctly. The Gulf stream flows north at about 3 mph I think it is and when the winds are out of the north it just really gets messy. Anything over 10 knots will start to get uncomfortable and approaching 20 knots for sure you do not want to be out there. My first crossing to Bimini in the early 90's took only an hour and the return 6 hrs later was in 15 ft seas that took 3 1/ 2 hrs of careful driving. It can change very quickly so always get a good forecast before going and know what your window is. Also plan on it being just a bit worse that what NOAA say. The forecast for our return that Thursday was 2 to 4's with some 5's when in reality it was 6 to 8's with some 10's.
Safe travels.

Bob
Old 10-25-2013, 03:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Wow, someone clicked " Like " on this story I wrote about my first trip to Bimini in 1990 - 23 years ago and brought it to my attention. Almost forgot all about that. It was also in big water on the return. Looks like my routing was similar. I must look at my " lessons learned " and see how many of them I applied to this most recent trip.

Here is the link to that story - http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...story-2-a.html

Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 10-25-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

See us old guys can still learn new stuff, huh Bob, nice thread,.................................... we're boating to KW for a weekend sometime, maybe FMO can make that run someday.

I know you guys are heading to KW for the races soon, have fun and be safe.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Bling Bling
Platinum Member

I'm planning a two week trip through the exzumas or abacos in June next year in my nor tech CC. I've enjoyed over the years reading about your boating trips and was wondering if you have spent anytime at either place. I'm leaning towards exzummas and staying around stanial cay. Ive done bimini 5 times and loved it but time to try somewhere else. Thanks in advance and if anyone else has info about either place thank you also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.