To all the naysayers that told me i was crazy to buy my 42 with triples >

To all the naysayers that told me i was crazy to buy my 42 with triples

Notices

To all the naysayers that told me i was crazy to buy my 42 with triples

Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Congrats on loving your boat. Forget the naysayers. I gave up on what other people think many years ago, and when I want an opinion; I'll ask for it.

What's the best thing about a twin engine boat? Starting the second engine.
What's the best thing about a triple engine boat? Staring the third engine! (That, and you can usually get home on plane with two of the three; most twin engine boats can't do such.)
That is funny but true. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to start this thing and people hear that 3rd motor start and they turn to the person next to them and say holy ****t that thing has three motors in it! The first thing people ask isn't how fast is it, it's how much gas does that thing use! I just tell them I don't keep track otherwise I'd be depressed!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Mike.......you had good luck all year so now you want to mess that up by playing with things? LOL

That is a clean boat, with a great previous owner, and that ride has been local for as long as I can remember. I think you took some of the criticism a little too much to heart. What people were trying to tell you is a slightly newer twin step, full stag twin gives the same performance as a trip without the extra hassle of the third engine..and gas. The twins are also easier to resell.

I also agree to not swap the drives, being that you have trips its actually easier on drives. And standard bravos are dirt cheap to replace/ rebuild compared to an XR. Buy a spare bravo 1 of the same vintage, have it serviced and keep it in the barn.

Its a nice ride, enjoy it!
Back when I first bought my house in '98, Jeff Mento owned this boat and Jimmy Raymond and my roommate at the time Dan Laticque did all the service on it when they worked for Chris Martin. They also towed it up to the Bay all the time and would park it in front of my house while they were loading all their gear and beer in it before heading up. I always said I was gonna own this boat, even back then. Back when Kurt Kattrein bought his brand new 42 (1990 I believe) I went on the maiden voyage on Oneida and wanted one from that day on. Not sure I will ever sell this boat. Love the "old style" Fountain look and could care less about having a step bottom. Now I just need to buy/build/rent a big heated shop so I can work on it all winter!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1000 islander
Ron, that's what I am going to do. I am going to have Jimmy Raymond grab me a couple and go thru them and keep one at camp and one home in the garage. I do want to run this thing with stock lowers and my 4 blades and see what it will do. I can never leave anything alone though, and I would love to see this old flat bottom girl top 90 next summer. If I have another good spring at the nuke plant maybe we will hunt for the mid 90's.
You might actually pick up some speed and better mpg with the props lower in the water if it isn't a stepped hull. When you trim up now does the bow come up or the props just start to break loose? If the drives are to high to carry the bow then you have all that hull in the water causing drag, get the props lower in the water so they have more leverage and can get the bow up and you'll see better speed and mpg.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pstorti
You might actually pick up some speed and better mpg with the props lower in the water if it isn't a stepped hull. When you trim up now does the bow come up or the props just start to break loose? If the drives are to high to carry the bow then you have all that hull in the water causing drag, get the props lower in the water so they have more leverage and can get the bow up and you'll see better speed and mpg.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered

Nice story. There are several advantages to a triple. They run faster with less power than a twin which is easier on drives, Accelerate alot harder, and alot easier to dock than twins. I wouldn't change drives, I ran a 96 staggered with 900's/bravos for a couple yrs and only lost one drive after I got a good top cap on the counter rotating drive. I think that is a must. I used a nice billet one from Teague. Good luck with the ride.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1000 islander
All I heard from everyone when making the decision this past spring to sell my SR-1 292 Formula with twin 502's and buy my 91 Fountain 42 with triple n/a 500hp's (was repowered with the newer hp500's bumped up to 570ish apiece) was that I was insane and would have nothing but headaches. Granted, most of my critics were the older non high performance crowd that have a hard time doing a tuneup on a Bayliner, but even some hardcore performance boat guys thought I was crazy, it would be a gas hog, and it would break down every other time out. Well here we are at the end of our boating season and all I can say is you were all wrong! Used a total of 5 quarts of motor oil, and repaired one broken power wire on the center motor MSD box all season. No drive issues, no motor issues, and the only annoying problem was the damn IPod cord from the stereo needed to be replaced. I didn't abuse it getting on plane but I didn't baby it either. It stays on plane and will cruise at a whopping 1900 rpms and burns the same amount of fuel my Formula did. Now it's time to plan a few winter upgrades. First up is to hang some newer XR drives on it in place of the original old style Bravos, then maybe bump the motors up a hair. It runs mid 80's now in the right conditions with the 4 blades on it, but 90% of the time I run the 5 blades at lower rpm's and it just tickles 80. The best part about this boat is the safety factor. My 12 year old son would get a little scared in the Formula at anything over 50, especially in the rough. Total opposite in the Fountain, as he has held onto the GPS at 79 and was grinning from ear to ear. Girlfriend still thinks I'm nuts and that it's way too big, but like my helmet sticker says.......size matters!
if you are running bravo xrs.. stay with 2004 and older drives. This us the b1 style. I have been told these back to around 2002ish or there about are the strongest xrs. I have 700 hp per side. Just check them every 20 hours fir chips or metal shavings... and always baby it up to speed
Old 10-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the look of the old school fountains are simply unbeatable! The proportions of a loong beak with a small cockpit just make it look like a true rocket ship. The newer model fountains have that cab forward look. The windsheild is in the exact center of the boat.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish i had as few problems as you. I have triples too and nothing but problems with one of my hatch actuators.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
if you are running bravo xrs.. stay with 2004 and older drives. This us the b1 style. I have been told these back to around 2002ish or there about are the strongest xrs. I have 700 hp per side. Just check them every 20 hours fir chips or metal shavings... and always baby it up to speed
Boy I hope you are right about the drives. I too am pushing 700h a side, and change my oil constantly and always check for metal. Boat now has 130 total hours and I have not even found much filings. I finished the year with two poker runs, so I plan to pull the steering caps in the spring and check the gears again as I did this spring at 66 hrs.

The worst thing about having bravo XR drives is hearing and reading that you are gonna break......constantly. For the most part I am easy on them, especially getting on plane, and when they start to surface I get off them.....except for the video I recently posted
Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by BLUEMAGIC
loong beak with a small cock pit

That sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.