To all the naysayers that told me i was crazy to buy my 42 with triples >

To all the naysayers that told me i was crazy to buy my 42 with triples

Notices

To all the naysayers that told me i was crazy to buy my 42 with triples

Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To all the naysayers that told me i was crazy to buy my 42 with triples

All I heard from everyone when making the decision this past spring to sell my SR-1 292 Formula with twin 502's and buy my 91 Fountain 42 with triple n/a 500hp's (was repowered with the newer hp500's bumped up to 570ish apiece) was that I was insane and would have nothing but headaches. Granted, most of my critics were the older non high performance crowd that have a hard time doing a tuneup on a Bayliner, but even some hardcore performance boat guys thought I was crazy, it would be a gas hog, and it would break down every other time out. Well here we are at the end of our boating season and all I can say is you were all wrong! Used a total of 5 quarts of motor oil, and repaired one broken power wire on the center motor MSD box all season. No drive issues, no motor issues, and the only annoying problem was the damn IPod cord from the stereo needed to be replaced. I didn't abuse it getting on plane but I didn't baby it either. It stays on plane and will cruise at a whopping 1900 rpms and burns the same amount of fuel my Formula did. Now it's time to plan a few winter upgrades. First up is to hang some newer XR drives on it in place of the original old style Bravos, then maybe bump the motors up a hair. It runs mid 80's now in the right conditions with the 4 blades on it, but 90% of the time I run the 5 blades at lower rpm's and it just tickles 80. The best part about this boat is the safety factor. My 12 year old son would get a little scared in the Formula at anything over 50, especially in the rough. Total opposite in the Fountain, as he has held onto the GPS at 79 and was grinning from ear to ear. Girlfriend still thinks I'm nuts and that it's way too big, but like my helmet sticker says.......size matters!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear it worked out for you so far! however... find some wood and start knocking!

Last edited by mysweetone; 10-07-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

nice job!! make sure you change your gimble bearings to the new style before you stick your xr's on or they will be short lived.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Registered

The only People that talk crap about Triples either never owned triples or were just in over Their head when they owned one.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Great to hear of your problem free season. This has been the least problematic season in a decade! I have blown through $1000 + in the past 60 days having a blast.Don't listen to the majority of these A$$holes that have invaded the site in the past few years! Best of luck in the future.

Last edited by bulletbob; 10-07-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

good to hear... the old triples need love to! funny story I took my uncle for a ride last week on my 42 (he's has an older 70 MPH Formula 292) he was smiling ear to ear the whole time! .. ran him up to near 90 he was surprised how fast & smooth the big beak ran.. no substitute for length!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No substitute for a big beak. You know what I mean. Welcome!!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Glad to hear your enjoying your boat!

Why change out your good working condition Bravo drives for newer XR drives?

IMO

Older Bravo drives have the better forged gears
Cheaper to rebuild
find a matching spare for cheap
save money for some really nice drives like Imco SCX, SC, SCX upper SC lower, etc.

Newer XR drives have poor quality gears
Cost more money
IMO are not enough of an upgrade
Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1000 islander
All I heard from everyone when making the decision this past spring to sell my SR-1 292 Formula with twin 502's and buy my 91 Fountain 42 with triple n/a 500hp's (was repowered with the newer hp500's bumped up to 570ish apiece) was that I was insane and would have nothing but headaches. Granted, most of my critics were the older non high performance crowd that have a hard time doing a tuneup on a Bayliner, but even some hardcore performance boat guys thought I was crazy, it would be a gas hog, and it would break down every other time out. Well here we are at the end of our boating season and all I can say is you were all wrong! Used a total of 5 quarts of motor oil, and repaired one broken power wire on the center motor MSD box all season. No drive issues, no motor issues, and the only annoying problem was the damn IPod cord from the stereo needed to be replaced. I didn't abuse it getting on plane but I didn't baby it either. It stays on plane and will cruise at a whopping 1900 rpms and burns the same amount of fuel my Formula did. Now it's time to plan a few winter upgrades. First up is to hang some newer XR drives on it in place of the original old style Bravos, then maybe bump the motors up a hair. It runs mid 80's now in the right conditions with the 4 blades on it, but 90% of the time I run the 5 blades at lower rpm's and it just tickles 80. The best part about this boat is the safety factor. My 12 year old son would get a little scared in the Formula at anything over 50, especially in the rough. Total opposite in the Fountain, as he has held onto the GPS at 79 and was grinning from ear to ear. Girlfriend still thinks I'm nuts and that it's way too big, but like my helmet sticker says.......size matters!
As mentioned before I would not do the XR swap. I owned a trip 42 Fountain w/600 per mill with no drive issues.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Registered

& you forgot to mention how awesome triples sound synced in passing by ! Just curious what speed your cursing at 1900 RPM's & what's the minimum speed you keep her on plane at when you want to go slow ? Thanks in advance & continued luck with the boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.