Notices

Supercat - Competitive?

Old 10-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercat - Competitive?

Watched the Clearwater SBI livetream... curious why the boats (Supercat) are so far apart if the packages are so similar? Can the class ever be successful with such a difference in performance. Or are we headed for another meltdown of the class? Not every boat could have propped wrong? Just asking?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting post , if horsepower is equally i would say hull brand and tunnel with would make the most difference i think they all weigh 9500 pounds .its been a full season on this new class i wonder if they will try to tighten them up, it would be better racing ,at least for spectators.or will new entries in the class fill the gaps .should they give certian hulls [teams] weight breaks to make up for narrow tunnels, or bigger boats .the guys in front would hate it the guy in back would fell like they have a chance at least,, just my two cents . .
Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I would suspect with a good full season under their belt they will try to tighten up the field. I doubt anyone in that class wants anything less then close racing. The formula may need a bit of tweaking but I think Tony and the rest are on the right track. My favorite thing about the 750 class is it puts the driver, T man and engine builder all in it, its gotta stay together and ya gotta keep it together.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-08-2013, 06:04 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,656 Likes on 3,775 Posts

1 mph differences end up being a lot, as well as overall lap speeds when out front with clean water in a 20 lap 100 mile race. and every lap the water condition changes from the previous lap, as well as hitting lap traffic.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say the class isn't too bad. Look at how close the points battle was. Yes stihl ran away in Clearwater but I would say overall the racing has been decent. It could be that stihl's setup worked much better on th shorter course in Clearwater.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boats are all so very close in speed, its all about having the right set up for the right day. Some boats are better in the rough some better in the flat but sooner all later they will all have their day. That is the reason the class is growing the way it is, the new motor package has been a huge sucess and making for some of the best racing we have seen in yrs.