Notices

28 cigarette info

Old 08-05-2002, 09:49 PM
cartman

Default 28 cigarette info

I am looking at a 28 cigarette 1979 with 2 454's and trs drives, pretty stock boat but has not been run in several years, was stored well in pretty good condition for year. I am Trying to get an Idea of what it is worth and what spots to look at closely. I know it's hard to say without looking at the boat but any aproximate sugestions would help thanks.

Old 08-05-2002, 10:03 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a hold of AC. He has one and may be able to answer some questions for you.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:23 AM
cartman

Thanks any ideas would help.

Old 08-06-2002, 03:14 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Cartman, is that John Fallon`s boat?

How does it look?

That would be cool to have another Cig on the river

Kurt.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cartman,

I restored a 1975 Cigarette a couple of years ago and mine was stored for quite a while before I got to it also. The boat was completely bare when I bought it, but hopefully some of this may help you.

Structurally speaking, these boats have no "weak" spots other than the norm for that age boat. Obviously check the transom and stringers for softness and rot. This boat will sometimes have stress cracks on the deck at the corners of the windshield and the front of the engine hatch. There is no coring in the deck so that's a plus...you'll never have to worry about a soft deck. I had to re-core the hatches on the cockpit floor though, because they got soft. I also hat to re-core the engine hatch for the same reason and probably shave about 150lbs off the boat there alone!

Your biggest concern should be mechanical. Check the TRS drives very carefully, as parts are NLA. Check for play in the steering which would indicate the gimbal ring and steering arm need replacement or the steering cable/helm are bad. Also check to see what transmission is in the boat. I have heard bad things about the MercTrans and the Borg Warner is a better unit. On the engine side of things, do a compression AND leakdown test. Look at the fuel lines for rot... especially the forward tank. Also look at the fuel fill hose on both tanks as they can rot also.

As far as value, it's all a matter of what it's worth to you...I sold mine with year 2000 350 MAG MPIs with Bravo drives(80 hours) for 30k without a trailer. If the boat is all original, and in mint condition, and relatively low hours, I would put it's value in the 30-40k range with trailer.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited by Sean; 08-06-2002 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean pretty much covered it,
Old 08-06-2002, 12:07 PM
AC
Registered

Cartman,

I have a 1980 Cigarette 28ss for sale. It is in mint condition.
New TRS with warranty, new engines 350's - 400 hp, new trailer, new interior, and new props. Original gel in excellent condition.
If interested email me at [email protected].

AC
Old 08-06-2002, 12:17 PM
AC
Registered

Originally posted by Sean
Cartman,

I restored a 1975 Cigarette a couple of years ago and mine was stored for quite a while before I got to it also. The boat was completely bare when I bought it, but hopefully some of this may help you.

Structurally speaking, these boats have no "weak" spots other than the norm for that age boat. Obviously check the transom and stringers for softness and rot. This boat will sometimes have stress cracks on the deck at the corners of the windshield and the front of the engine hatch. There is no coring in the deck so that's a plus...you'll never have to worry about a soft deck. I had to re-core the hatches on the cockpit floor though, because they got soft. I also hat to re-core the engine hatch for the same reason and probably shave about 150lbs off the boat there alone!

Your biggest concern should be mechanical. Check the TRS drives very carefully, as parts are NLA. Check for play in the steering which would indicate the gimbal ring and steering arm need replacement or the steering cable/helm are bad. Also check to see what transmission is in the boat. I have heard bad things about the MercTrans and the Borg Warner is a better unit. On the engine side of things, do a compression AND leakdown test. Look at the fuel lines for rot... especially the forward tank. Also look at the fuel fill hose on both tanks as they can rot also.

As far as value, it's all a matter of what it's worth to you...I sold mine with year 2000 350 MAG MPIs with Bravo drives(80 hours) for 30k without a trailer. If the boat is all original, and in mint condition, and relatively low hours, I would put it's value in the 30-40k range with trailer.

Hope some of this helps.

Sean,

I think you gave you 28 away for 30K! I think the value of a clean 28 is between 35K - 45K.

Your 28 for 30K was a steal!

AC
Old 08-06-2002, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default mine is for sale too

i bought sean's redone cig in april and am now getting a top gun.. the boat is in excelent shape... see pics at thunderboatalley.com i added labbed props, stereo, gps, vhf, more fenders, graphics, tools,... etc call me ted 216 978 6607 email [email protected]
Old 08-06-2002, 06:15 PM
cartman

Thanks SEAN for all the info gives me something to go on. Hey Biggus that is fallons boat but he wants double what we were talking about I haven't seen the boat yet, need to set a time up because he is storing it at a friends house. mabey I can talk him down a bit? How much do you know about that boat? Probably needs motors if it has been in the salt.

Quick Reply: 28 cigarette info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.