Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hey Detroit area folks.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30408-hey-detroit-area-folks.html)

dockrocker 08-07-2002 09:48 AM

Hey Detroit area folks....

.... does anyone know of a good rack facility that takes boats longer than 30-31 feet or so? Planning for our next boat, and I'm looking at going to something in the mid-30's. We used to rack at Beacon Cove, but a Formula 311 is about as big as they will go there.

I think Sassy up in Algonac will go to 38' or so? And I think Anchor Bay Marina has some bigger boats in there, but its been a few years since I've been there. We're also looking for someplace with a few amenities for the young'ns, pool, playground, that sort of thing. We used to slip at Belle Maer, but they want an arm and a leg, and they only rack to 30'.

On a related note, anyone know which marinas would allow you to put in a Hydro-hoist or similar? Seems to me that they shouldn't have too much heartburn as long as the lift is not permanently attached to the dock and/or bottom.

Much obliged...

26scarab 08-07-2002 09:51 AM

Give Miller Marina a try. I know they can rack up to 38 inside , and I think they can outside store up to 42.

Also I've seen hoists used in the wells. That is were Broken Arrow , Team Scream (36 Skater), and Endangered Species are stored at.

PatriYacht 08-07-2002 10:04 AM

I kept my Scarab on a rack at Sassy for a few years. A very nice place. Good acess to northern Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair river.

dockrocker 08-07-2002 10:13 AM

We live up north of town (Macomb / Shelby Twp area), so we'd like to stay up toward the north end of Lake St. Clair, if possible. We clocked it at 30-40 minutes from the house to Sassy, maybe 5-10 minutes less to get to Beacon Cove. I'm not real familiar with the marinas up on the north channel - I've really only been up there on the water :)

PatriYacht 08-07-2002 10:18 AM

Sassy has heated indoor storage at a reasonable price also. No pool but a large picnic-play area.

delsol 08-07-2002 12:08 PM

40 scarab

Do you still have the scarab?? I noticed in your profile you're looking for a boat. Just curious as I'm trying to tune mine in right now and looking for prop combinations that might work. Any insight??

PatriYacht 08-07-2002 05:42 PM

Del Sol, I use 23p Hydromotive. Engines are stock 400 Syclones with the exception of Mallory ignition and MSD boxes. I tried to take as much weight as possible out of the boat. It weighs about 11000lbs. On a cool day it'll go 58-60 at 4800 rpm.

delsol 08-07-2002 10:21 PM

40 scarab

just got back from trying 15*23 mirage plus. 60 mph, full tank, 3 guys 250lbs, in 3 fters, spinning 5100 rpm. I was trying to get to the 4800 rpm---tried 4 blade hydromotive 21 pitch last night --too small turned 5200 at 58 mph. and wasn't impressed with the handling when trimmed so much. Maybe i should try some 23 hydros too, i thought they'd be too much, had 25 mirages on and only got 52mph @ 4200. I'm running 454's dynoed at 475hp. do you have to trim your hydro's alot??
Thanx, dave

PatriYacht 08-08-2002 06:54 AM

Del Sol, the Scarab seems to be very heavy in the bow. Yes it has to be trimmed alot. I tried Mirages but they slipped badly when trimmed at all. I'm debating whether to keep the boat and do extensive mod's or start over with something more modern (and expensive). If I keep it one of the mod's is notch the transom or add extension boxes.Bravos and 540s would be nice also.

PatriYacht 08-08-2002 06:58 AM

Del Sol also I added Hydromotive nose cones. Speed went up maybe 1mph but rpms went down 200.