Notices

Floating Trailer Issues

Old 10-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
Thanks for the recommendations!

I have a tandem with no guide poles. It is a "bolt together" trailer. I can see how the long bunks in addition to the four tires don't help. The trailer holds a Sunsation 288 so there is plenty of wood to add to the bloating issue.

I've tried backing in slowly, dunking the entire trailer and pulling out, and many of the other recommendations from above. I'm not a novice but would like to think I exhausted every solution before bolting weight to the trailer which seemed to be the best solution outside of buying a steel trailer.

Seeing that I boat in only freshwater I could go either way!
The removable weights sound like the best solution for you.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
I have a Hi-Tech Marine aluminum trailer which always floats. While I can overcome the issue by standing on it while the lady loads it I was curious to what others do to keep it submerged.

Best idea I have thought of was to get old lead diving weights and fix them to the frame. I searched for a commercial product and couldn't find anything available.

Ideas?
I had the same problem years ago, I bolted a block of steel 4" x 4" x 36"ish across the
very last frame rail the width direction of the trailer. Problem solved

Jon
Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

All you need to add to the trailer is 100 lbs, maybe 200 tops.

Feel free to click though the links on the other threads via the search I posted above. In previous posts, I showed a few pics of how I fixed mine with a couple of these [ATTACH=CONFIG]510382[/ATTACH] U-bolted inside of the I-beams at the aft end of my trailer. Several coats of paint on the dumbbells, a couple strips of rubber (old floormat or mudflap) and a 2-SS U-bolts and you will have your issue fixed for $125 bucks; and you will not even notice the weight difference.
Attached Images