Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What to clean an Aluminum Trailer with? >

What to clean an Aluminum Trailer with?

Notices

What to clean an Aluminum Trailer with?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Try using Eagle One NEVER-DULL wadding polish first. If the trailer is oxidized (white) and polish alone is not working use a fine scotch bright pad with the never dull wadding on the back side of the fine scotch bright pad.The never dull on the back side if scotch bright is to keep it moist with the polishing compound. Rub one direction lengthwise then wipe clean with cotton rag or towel.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Thanks guys for all the responses! I think I have a good idea on what I need to do. Due to C_spray's comment, I will probably go the green scrubby route... Who knows, just may go with the high polished look if time permits....
Thanks!
Jr.
You have plenty of time before next season. The boats done and junior is walking. Take him to the shop with you, hand him a green scrubby and he can get all the hard to reach spots. A weekend, twelve pack, night at the farmington, breakfast at farmington and your done. If its snowing and you need a ride on a sled I will make some calls.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Registered

Acid wash, then jewlers rouge / polish.
Depending on effort you can get a clean look or mirror polish.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 30ftpanther
Try using Eagle One NEVER-DULL wadding polish first. If the trailer is oxidized (white) and polish alone is not working use a fine scotch bright pad with the never dull wadding on the back side of the fine scotch bright pad.The never dull on the back side if scotch bright is to keep it moist with the polishing compound. Rub one direction lengthwise then wipe clean with cotton rag or towel.
Pretty much this. I had a So. Florida trailer for the PP that was in pretty bad shape. Did the Brillo thing first time around, then followed up with Never-Dull. Looked brand new. Like Panther says, rub lengthwise otherwise you f it up.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut
You have plenty of time before next season. The boats done and junior is walking. Take him to the shop with you, hand him a green scrubby and he can get all the hard to reach spots. A weekend, twelve pack, night at the farmington, breakfast at farmington and your done. If its snowing and you need a ride on a sled I will make some calls.
Now your thinking... Get the kid to work while I drink beer.........
Old 10-30-2013, 02:40 AM
Registered

As Rogman has said WD-40 and scotchbrite pad Rub long ways with the trailer about 18" at a time. once a year trailer will look like new. Also works on drives
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
If you use conventional steel wool, don't ever go near salt water with the trailer again. Small traces of steel will wind up imbedded in the aluminum forever. Scotchbrite or bronze wool are OK.
That is exactly what I was thinking and I would also suggest Scotchbrite. Regarding acid, I would only try that as a last resort and test it in an area that is not noticeable.

Good luck with the project, it'll probably take some elbow grease and time.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Pretty sure this will work well....
http://www.biokleen.com/aluminum-cleaner
I have personally used this product in the past, It worked VERY well. The trailer was older and well tarnished. Started spraying on about 3 ft at a time, used a Floor cleaner scrubber pad (green) for the initial cleaning. Let it set for a day and went back over again a second time and used a white cleaning pad, looked new... (Floor cleaner pads come in different colors, White, Red, Green and Black, color is the texture/roughness. They are made of a plastic compound and are very inexpensive to buy... You can get them at any commercial floor supplier.)

It sounds complicated and time consuming, but it was not.... Very easy, took an 1.5 hrs the first time, .5 hrs the time the second round. (It was only a 22 ft trailer)
Old 11-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

While down in Key West I met the owner of Myco Trailers while hanging out at the Chief booth. He was telling me about some kind of liquid they spray on the trailers and it makes them like new... Can't remember the name...it was a LONG week!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Is this an anodized aluminum trailer ? If it is it will never look new again unless the anodizing is removed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.