Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need Ideas on Family Place's to stay & things to do in Orlando & the Keys (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30467-need-ideas-family-places-stay-things-do-orlando-keys.html)

Secret F233 08-07-2002 11:25 PM

Need Ideas on Family Place's to stay & things to do in Orlando & the Keys

Ok the Fam ( Wife, Father, Mother, Sister, Grandfather) & I are heading out to Orlando for a week & then to the Keys for another week staring Sept 30th. What should we not miss & where should we stay. Any one got a condo or house for rent?????

What's up in Orlando Discovery Cove, Epcot, etc????

And then the keys I looked @ Hawks Cay & some other sug's from other posts but 5 to 800 a night is a bit out of our league.

Also taking the Formula with us whats to see by SEA & What can i do to make sure my freshwater boat dos'nt die as soon as i spash her or even afterwards for that mater.

Thanks Gang.

Chris

Sorry So sloopy very long day i'm headed to bed:)

gmhdfan 08-08-2002 01:43 AM

Orlando has anything you want. Make sure you go to:

Race Rock

If you are going to spend $15.00 on a hamburger this is the place.
You can go to Silver Glen in Lake George cool place to hang out nice springs and fresh water. Put in at Astor and it will save you the manatee zones although the first time up the river you may not mind them, very pretty wildlife, so you could put in down river a little more south. Look at a map it's the St. Johns River. If you like fishing there is a campground at East Lake Fish camp (east lake Tohopekaliga) that rents cottages and have boat slips. look it up on the map close to all the tourist stuff and probable good rates. Check to see if any Space Shuttles are going off while your here. Awesome to see and feel in person.

The Keys depends on how much you want to see but for the money Key Largo is nice some good dive sites. Or try Holiday Isle always had a good time there. And it's not to far down the keys. How old are you kids. You can swim with the dolphins in the keys at a couple different places. You can go to Hawks Cay and swim with the dolfins without staying there. But our freinds just went there and their boy wasn't tall enough. Enjoy yourself. E-mail me if you have any questions.

Pete:) :cool:

gmhdfan 08-08-2002 01:49 AM

Sorry try this oneRace Rock

skatermike24 08-08-2002 07:57 AM

Chris

There is anything and everything to do here, gotta do the Disney thing, I recommand Magic Kingdom, gotta see the firework show at Epcot one night, that starts at 9:00. Go to Sea World, Islands of Adventure if you like rides. I work for Disney so if you need any help let me know. Where are you planning on staying? :cool:

Are you bring the boat??????

gmhdfan 08-08-2002 08:15 AM

Skip the manatee show at Sea World. It's nothing you want your kids to see or here. They take money from Save the manatee people and the people working the show noses actually start growing during the show.:confused: :confused:

skatermike24 08-08-2002 08:47 AM

OK, Skip Sea World come to Disney so I can keep my job!:D :D

Secret F233 08-08-2002 10:40 AM

SkaterMike,

Thanks chief we are definitely going to Disney, Epcot, & maybe discovery cove? But we'll still have a few more days to kill there in Orlando after that so just looking for the good stuff.:) Not Sure where staying like to rent a house or condo with a pool in both places but I would like to keep her under 1k a week so any sug's??? & what about this typhoon lagoon place worth it or not?? O BTW where's the best spot for discount tickets:)

O & yes we are bringing the boat but I'm afraid of that saltwater in my fresh water-cooling system once we get to the Keys. What can I do to preempt any problems I might have & should I hose it with wd-40 or something after each use.

You see I'm a freshie & Know nothing of the ways of the salt :)????

GMHDFAN,
Thanks man that RaceRock looks cool as heck defiantly going to try that out:) & Silver Glen as well nice man you guys rock!! I have no kids yet but this may be one of the last Parental & grandfatheral vacations we go on so it's important to us all to get out there and see the good sh*# & not the BullS%#* as there may not be a next time:(.
BTW good idea on the shuttle launch My grandfather was an engineer for NASA on the Apollo & Gemini capsules he'd love that:)!!!!

MrOffshore,

Ducks Key is that the same as Hawks Cay look's nice? & yes I've been to Sloppys may try to dash to KW for a day but where really looking for the off the beaten path locals stuff like the Lorelei in Key Largo and what not. Or maybe a hidden boats only spot like Cabbage Key near Captiva..

skatermike24 08-08-2002 12:31 PM

Chris , when ae coming down, I would definitely go to the Glen, Freshwater water springs, it beautiful, I'm there about once a month , let me know when your coming you can follow us up there. As far as the keys go, I don't boat pass Islamorda, I would stop there at Holiday Isle resort and visit the famous sand bar and Tiki Bar. I don't like salt either but when I run in salt water I always bring a hose with me so I can wash the boat down, e-mail me [email protected] for places to stay
:cool:

skatermike24 08-08-2002 12:32 PM

Chris , when are you coming down, I would definitely go to the Glen, Freshwater water springs, it beautiful, I'm there about once a month , let me know when your coming you can follow us up there. As far as the keys go, I don't boat pass Islamorda, I would stop there at Holiday Isle resort and visit the famous sand bar and Tiki Bar. I don't like salt either but when I run in salt water I always bring a hose with me so I can wash the boat down, e-mail me [email protected] for places to stay
:cool:

CRUBOSS 08-08-2002 02:28 PM

DOWNTOWN DISNEY IS GREAT... SPORTS BARS , HOUSE OF BLUES... LOTS TO SEE. AS THE KEYS GO..EVERYPLACE WITH BEER IS ON THE LIST.