OT/ 96 chevy truck 454 quesion >

OT/ 96 chevy truck 454 quesion

Notices

OT/ 96 chevy truck 454 quesion

Old 08-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question OT/ 96 chevy truck 454 quesion

Does this truck have fuel injection or carb ? And does it have oxegen sensors or air tubes on catalytic converters . Customer wants parts for it but doesn't know what he has ! He wants to loose cats and run 3" pipe back to daul mufflers and tails . Thanks
Old 08-04-2002, 10:53 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has fuel injection and cats but I don't know if it has an air injection system.

Why does he want to get rid of cats????

I took mine off and it was really loud so I replaced stock cats with high flow units and then ran pipes into Flowmaster mufflers. Sounds great and isn't that loud especially at highway speeds.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:20 AM
Registered

He says it runs hot and is a dog . He pulls a 40' horse trailer and wants the power , the sound , and hopes to drop temps a bit . A little mileage won't hurt either ! He's in PA and they have no emission laws for cats so he wants them gone .

Thanks for your help . JOE
Old 08-05-2002, 02:58 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

The 96 should be the fuel injected Vortec 454. My 93 454 has a TBI system. It doesn't have any cats Don't know if the previous owner took them off or if they weren't required on 1 tons in 93.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts
Cool

1995 was the last year for the throttle body's.
IN 96 they came out with the MPI Vortecs.
There should be two oxygen sensors since they should have true duals back to two cats, then to one muffler and out the back.
As for the air injection.....i think that depends on the options of the truck. I think all the cali modles have it. the rest are optional if ordered from dealer. And i have no idea what it looks like to check.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-05-2002, 12:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for all your help !
Old 08-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Registered

Lightbulb

RE: AIR INJECTION, If you have air injection there should be be an accessory air pump on the front of the motor w/a pulley.......(It looks "kind of" like an alternator)....that is run by the fan belt....There should be a tube(s) plumbed into the exhaust manifold and/or cats.....I don't think getting rid of your cat. cons. is a good idea, they run hot to keep the air pollution to a minimum & hi-flow cats are the way to go......With that truck being a 96 the original cats are probably clogged & should be replaced.....If you are going with flowmasters, make sure you use the BIG BLOCK version in 2 or 3 chamber variety depending how loud you want your ride.....2 louder,3 not as loud.......HAPPY MOTORING!!!!!
Old 08-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Boot, What did you find to be the reason it was running Hot? My 1991 454 has been doing the same thing. I have replaced the Radiator about a year ago, and was wondering what to look for.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:20 PM
ursus

"He pulls a 40' horse trailer and wants the power , the sound"

If he is puulling race horses tell him he may like the sound but the horse that has to listen to it for a couple hours before a race and suck the even dirtier exhaust will not be as appreciative, yes CO is really good to get the blood oxygen levels down exactly what you don't want.

Old 08-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Registered

Hey boot,
I had a 96 with a 454. It had two convervters. It also had a sensor in front and behind each convert. My 2000 454 just has the sensors in front of the converts. Both have two inlets and one outlet on the muffler. As for the air tubes in the manifolds when I talked to Banks about their system they said that some had tubes some didn't. Hope this helps.
Mike

Quick Reply: OT/ 96 chevy truck 454 quesion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.