Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What Would You do When Somebody else Needed Your Help? >

What Would You do When Somebody else Needed Your Help?

Notices

What Would You do When Somebody else Needed Your Help?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Nice work Tom!

I've been on both sides of that table.

I was "that guy" one time, on a PWC. I was on my PWC many years ago, young, dumb, and stupid. 70 degree day in March, but water was only 59 degrees; and I went out alone on Lake Anna in VA. I was dressed for the air, not the water; with only the top half of a wetsuit on. I blew out a baseball sized chunk in the pump cavity on the PWC, and it sank to the handlebars. I could feel the air exit my lungs as I sank into the water with the ski. I was very lucky that an older couple were out for a cruise on their bass boat. They hauled me aboard, gave me a sandwich and a blanket, AND towed my sunken ski into a marina. I would not be here had it not been for them. Bless their hearts, I never saw them at the lake again.

On behalf of your sailboat guy as a person in similar peril, I say THANK YOU, again.

A couple years ago I stumbled upon a broken down boat in the middle of the night on Smith Mountain Lake in VA; NO lights, PITCH black night, and 3 drunk/high idiots aboard. They had blown their motor; and were content with sleeping it off in the middle of the lake. They rejected my offer to call for authorities to help them in (go figure). I called them anyway. They were a navigation hazard to other boaters. We almost ran them over ourselves.

Another time, attending a Wine Festival at SML as well; came across a Fountain 29 Single that adrift in the entrance to the cove of the festival (with swift breeze blowing in; LOTS of boats anchored/beached/docked). I pulled up along side, and they had blown the drive on the boat. Crew was exasperated, as their day was looking sour. Several boats had just cruised on by them. I towed them in, got them docked, and they enjoyed the festival; worried about the boat once the weekend was over. As a result, I made a friend (boat's owner) that has since bought me more drinks than I can count, and few meals as well; and we always have a blast every time we catch up.
Sydwayz, I'm just curious about the drunks in the channel......did they get arrested? Were they being a-holes toward you? Did you offer to tow them to shore? I understand they needed to be out of the channel, but I just don't think I could have called the cops on them unless they weren't willing to let you help get them out of the channel. Just my opinion and there is probably more to the story.....
Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I want to say thanks to all of you who have gone out of their way to help someone in need. I have been around boats and boating most of my life and finally picked up my first boat last spring. We decided to go out on a Friday night and just enjoy a quite evening on the lake. Made a couple runs up and down the lake and decided to pull into a cove to get out and let our son swim. There were not many people at the lake that night and we never dropped anchor. We decide it is time to go ahead and take off so we can get out before dark. We all climb into the boat get situated and I hit the key, motor just cranks and cranks (502 vapor lock) we were a god ways back in the cove and all of the passing boats were only pushing us closer to the rocky shore and at this point the anchor is not going to help. Luckily for us someone passing saw the hatch up and came back to see if we needed help, and gave us a tow back to the dock.

I have stopped at numerous car accidents to see if there is anything I can do. I believe that we owe it to our fellow man to be there in their time of need because at some point we are all going to be in a position that we need help from someone that we don't know.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to offer help anytime, with the bad "reputation" sport boats have in SOME peoples eyes it's nice to be the good guy (-:

Reminds me of the neighbourhood guy with the loud Harley and Tattoo's who is the FIRST guy to shovel an elderly neighbours driveway, or lend you a hand moving furniture (-:
Old 11-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Sydwayz, I'm just curious about the drunks in the channel......did they get arrested? Were they being a-holes toward you? Did you offer to tow them to shore? I understand they needed to be out of the channel, but I just don't think I could have called the cops on them unless they weren't willing to let you help get them out of the channel. Just my opinion and there is probably more to the story.....
Tow was discussed, but they were too far gone to comprehend what was happening. I had a sick passenger on my boat that I was getting back to homebase; and the only thing they wanted was a tow all the way up the lake. I didn't call the cops, rather Marine Fire and Rescue. I didn't want to see them get in trouble, but I also didn't want to see anyone get killed either.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-07-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

One of the many tows I've done over the years. I never leave a boat behind even it it puts a major crimp in the day's plans (this was on the Illinois river about 7 miles downstream of Pekin where they launched their boat). I had to tell them to stop posing for photos and move to the back of the boat to make it easier to tow!
Attached Thumbnails What Would You do When Somebody else Needed Your Help?-p5060013.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kjkam
Been on both ends, helped pull someone from the water before, towed many broken down boaters in, but only once have I been the one to be towed. We were out in my neighbors Baja when the boat just quit, (come to find out later it was a loose fuel pump wire). After waving our hands at several passing boaters, one finally stopped and started towing us to the marina. About 5 minutes into the tow, the boat pulling us stops, releases the line and said they had someplace else to be and that they called a tow boat for us that should be there in an hour. I kept my composure, but after going out of my way on many occasions to help out a stranded boater, I was amazed that these people that had started helping us, would suddenly stop. I'm glad to hear all the good stories on here, but I think there is a bit of a shift in the boating world and not everybody is as helpful as many of the members on this board.

My hats off to those that help when help is needed.
For a while there was a new (low) class of boater started to show up. You know the guy that has more money than brains or the family guy that thinks that if they can drive a car what's the difference (no clue). One thing about this 5 year long recession is it has started to wean them out. IMHO the me/entitled generation (no matter how old you are) never belongs behind the wheel of a boat. We all have responsibility’s out there if you want to do them or not.
There is hope too. I was testing a 1.31 drive in the basin out in front of our neighborhood ramp this spring and broke a vertical shaft. Boat was not going to move under its own power, period. My 40 year old classic with a built, screaming 496 was getting the drag of shame the 1/4 mile or so by two pre-teen boys on a 20 year old jet ski. Now that's humbling. I also gave them 20 bucks. If only for the money alone, from now they will stop at every boat they even think needs a tow.

Last edited by f_inscreenname; 11-07-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

For those of you that have offered pats on the back, I humbly thank you. To those of you that have done similar things in the belief that someday maybe that person will help you - good on you! For those of you that read this and might remember it someday - and actually stop to get involved - GREAT! That's all I could ever hope for.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Great story.

The world needs more people like you.

Cashbar was in my boat when the Fountain flipped, he went right into action.

These are the type of people you want in a foxhole with you.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had nothing on the water other than a couple broke down tow ins and pulled 2 run aground sail boats out.but I was eating lunch at a friendly's with my now ex wife and i kept hearing this person coughing I look back and a young girl 4-6 years of age seemed be choking and mother was standing next to her with a frightened look on her face but wasn't really doing anything, i asked her do you need a hand and she say uh huh. so i had to grab the kid with one arm while i was pushing up on her chest / stomach area with the other because she was to small to do the hymlic maneuver on i gues it worked well enough that food she was choking on came out far enough that i could stick my finger in her mouth to pull the rest of it out. the funny part the story is the mother iguess was embarrassed or frightened that she crab the kid and left, the waitress that was waiting on them came back to the table and asked paramedic??? i said nope mechanic!!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^nope mechanic lol nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.