The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee >

The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee

Notices

The Big Lake They Call Gitche Gumee

Old 11-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnaut46
IMHO the reason that everyone remembers the EF is that she was the largest ship to ever sink on the Great Lakes. Same reason people remember the Titanic, google shipwrecks of 1912 HMS Titanic was only one of 214 ships lost that yr.

I agree with you that few people ever remember the little guys, they only remember the Biggest and Baddest. The Edmond Fitzgerald was an AWESOME boat.

I think humans have to have some type of reasoning why the things we create can fail against mother nature. We are top of the food chain how can mother nature beat us…

Having worked overseas most of my adult life, I know this.

You play with guns: You get shot
You play with knives: You get cut
You play on the water: You get wet.

Prayers out to all the people who work, play, and have lost their lives on the H20
The Carl Bradley was 639' long, not a little guy.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Are you trying to say we should remember none because there have been many spread out over time . Orrr do you just dislike Lightfoots song . Sorry , trying hard to understand your thought process . I posted what I did because TODAY in 1974 we lost the Fitz and all hands . Never intended to disrespect anyone else lost to the witch of November .
I think it's sad that only the Fitz sinking gets recognized due to Lightfoot's song and boats like the Bradley and others that sunk are forgotten. There's a history of tragedy on the big lakes that goes back long before the Fitz.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
The Carl Bradley was 639' long, not a little guy.
Because of your comments , I have found something of particular interest to me . Thank you .
http://valerievanheest.com/images/Ma...ievanHeest.pdf
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not saying The Carl Bradley sinking was insignificant. Each sinking is a tragedy. All I am saying is that you can insert The Carl Bradley in for the EF and you get the same song.

All very sad that people have and will continue to lose their lives for progress.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm a mariner. The general public doesn't have a clue what this industry loses every year. Not just Americans but worldwide. Ships go "missing" on a regular basis. There is an "acceptable" number of ships lost every year. Sad to think about
Old 11-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I think the overlooked point may be that without the Lightfoot song no one would have heard about any wreck on any of the great lakes, far fewer then do now that arent directly related. At the very least the song may occasionally inspire people to look into it further and maybe realize the many other tragedies.

god rest there souls . . . all of them
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 11-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
I think the overlooked point may be that without the Lightfoot song no one would have heard about any wreck on any of the great lakes, far few then do now that arent directly related. At the very least the song may occasionally inspire people to look into it further and maybe realize the many other tragedies.

god rest there souls . . . all of them
This thread has already inspired me to seek out what lies below . The witch of November has taken many .
Old 11-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I'm a mariner. The general public doesn't have a clue what this industry loses every year. Not just Americans but worldwide. Ships go "missing" on a regular basis. There is an "acceptable" number of ships lost every year. Sad to think about
And the general public rarely hears about it , why .
Old 11-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

the great lakes can be nasty, nasty bodies of water at times RIP to all that have lost their lives.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Website said Big Fitz had no Fathometer it was not required by law they used string/rope off bottom
very surprising even for 1975 tech of the day RIP,,,,,,,,,,,,, Much respect for Greatlake freighters and Mariners...

Last edited by Cigar Boat; 11-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.