Key West Worlds Update: Miss GEICO Wins, CMS And Al Adaa'am 96 Break

Old 11-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Races leaving KW would be sad... But it does come down to $$
Old 11-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think there are other locations willing to put out more for the racers and promote the sport. also, kw is not very family friendly. nothing much to do there other than bars. need a more metropolitan area with easier access, cheaper more plentiful accommodations, and variety things to do for families and racers, in addition to bars/racing.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I think they need to rename the sport or something... Offshore racing was something completely different. 135 miles over THREE days?? shortening the course because its a little bumpy?? In my mind the offshore world championships should be an offshore challenge, something like the Baja 1000 on water. 135 miles over 3 days is like having the Baja 1000 in a walmart parkinglot with rest breaks. But then again, Im old, I got hooked on the sport seeing it on tv in the 70's.

Yeah, I know I don't race boats. Although I have a nice shiny chunk of wood on the mantle that says Baja 1000 and #1. It was the challenge of going as fast as you can while keeping it in one piece, knowing if you broke it, you were either fixing it or sitting in the middle of nowhere for a long time. Its supposed to be a marathon not a sprint. Its about using your brain more than the throttle. Where finishing is a feat in itself, finishing first is a bonus.

Last edited by phragle; 11-10-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by foxbat
i think there are other locations willing to put out more for the racers and promote the sport. also, kw is not very family friendly. nothing much to do there other than bars. need a more metropolitan area with easier access, cheaper more plentiful accommodations, and variety things to do for families and racers, in addition to bars/racing.
Good point.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Sheik should be commended they ran three boats, Yeah the turbine boat was a fail but who else brought more hardware to try to put on a show? these guys could easily be running over seas but they are here looking for competition. Its a new boat cut them some slack,merrymac really did no better and that boat has been together for a long time and had they the turbine master running it. (Aruda) I agree there are too many classes, There is really no reason for a separate turbine class especially on a short course. Superboat class is perfect, combine unlimited and turbine, Keep extreme the same same limit to 1100hp, superstock is perfect, superboat v is fine, p classes are fine. rename them so they make more sense.
unlimited/ turbine just call----> "Unlimited"
Superboat---------------------------> Supercat
Extreme-----------------------------> Super-V
Super Stock-------------------------> Super Stock cat
superboat V -----------------------> Super Stock V
P clases stay the same

And commit to not changing the classes for at least 3 years to allow classes to develop.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Registered

I'm not hating on any of the big guys, I do thank them for putting on the show. I just think the unlimited guys should just say F the class and go make Super Boat the one big class! That's the real class and the one that could save the sport. So I'm just saying make that class better, get rid of extreme and bam- u have like 15 boats in that class
Old 11-11-2013, 04:01 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations Miss Geico Racing !!!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-11-2013, 04:43 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I think they need to rename the sport or something... Offshore racing was something completely different. 135 miles over THREE days?? shortening the course because its a little bumpy?? In my mind the offshore world championships should be an offshore challenge, something like the Baja 1000 on water. 135 miles over 3 days is like having the Baja 1000 in a walmart parkinglot with rest breaks. But then again, Im old, I got hooked on the sport seeing it on tv in the 70's.

Yeah, I know I don't race boats. Although I have a nice shiny chunk of wood on the mantle that says Baja 1000 and #1. It was the challenge of going as fast as you can while keeping it in one piece, knowing if you broke it, you were either fixing it or sitting in the middle of nowhere for a long time. Its supposed to be a marathon not a sprint. Its about using your brain more than the throttle. Where finishing is a feat in itself, finishing first is a bonus.
The poker run is 160 miles one way!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by professor_speed
The Sheik should be commended they ran three boats, Yeah the turbine boat was a fail but who else brought more hardware to try to put on a show? these guys could easily be running over seas but they are here looking for competition. Its a new boat cut them some slack,merrymac really did no better and that boat has been together for a long time and had they the turbine master running it. (Aruda) I agree there are too many classes, There is really no reason for a separate turbine class especially on a short course. Superboat class is perfect, combine unlimited and turbine, Keep extreme the same same limit to 1100hp, superstock is perfect, superboat v is fine, p classes are fine. rename them so they make more sense.
unlimited/ turbine just call----> "Unlimited"
Superboat---------------------------> Supercat
Extreme-----------------------------> Super-V
Super Stock-------------------------> Super Stock cat
superboat V -----------------------> Super Stock V
P clases stay the same

And commit to not changing the classes for at least 3 years to allow classes to develop.
agree 100%, that they should be commended for their efforts. what is not cool though is all the tough talk they were talking before the races against marc especially, and come show time, they could not deliver on the big talk with 96. just not my style i guess. i only talk tough if i KNOW i can deliver. i disagree that mary mac did no better. yes they did ultimately break down, but i could almost expect that from older hardware, and they broke down 1/2 times and completed waayy more laps than 96. 96 failed 3/3 times = 100% failure rate. just saying i think more learning and consistent results needs to take place there (before you start talking a big game).
Old 11-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in KW this week. It was announced that this would be the last race.. Clearwater was rumored. As for the racing, Fridays races and the first 2 races Sunday we're cent. The third face on Sunday, was boring, other then the 2 fires (unfortunate to say). Fans were losing interest fast on race 3. Further, the SBI change to the course, due to seat turtles was poorly managed and racers were forced to make a dangerous turn due to the placement of the turn buoys and the channel markers. On the plus side SBI did move the milling area, (pre start) away from the channel marker that warpaint hit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.