Saltwater perception - your thoughts

Notices

Saltwater perception - your thoughts

Old 11-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I have been boating in South Florida for 35 years. One trick I learned from an old "Salt" was to inject Dawn Dish Washing liquid into the fresh water flush regimen and let it sit in the block. I have never had a corrosion failure of a block or exhaust manifold in practicing this habit. There is something in Dawn that neutralizes the effect of NACL on the FE...it's as if it coats the surface of the block and prevents the salt from reacting with the iron.

I remember my Chemistry I recall that most household dish washing detergent has Soda Ash in it which is higher on the PH scale than Salts such as Sodium Chloride and the Dawn simply neutralizes the effect of the salt because of this.

Anyone else ever hear of this?
I never have, but that doesn't mean anything, that's if the boat doesn't have closed cooling, mine does, I'm thinking it's best to have both flush-outs and closed cooling when boating in salt.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
If you have the anti freeze tank next to the engine (pink fluid), then they are closed cooling and like you said, water only goes through the exhausts. However, if you have CMI headers and they crack like all 5 of ours did then the salt water will get into the engines and ruin them.
is there enough of a power difference between the cmi headers that are killing your engines when they start leaking vs stainless marine big ex manifolds and tailpipes, to make the cmi's worth running?????
Old 11-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I have been boating in South Florida for 35 years. One trick I learned from an old "Salt" was to inject Dawn Dish Washing liquid into the fresh water flush regimen and let it sit in the block. I have never had a corrosion failure of a block or exhaust manifold in practicing this habit. There is something in Dawn that neutralizes the effect of NACL on the FE...it's as if it coats the surface of the block and prevents the salt from reacting with the iron.

I remember my Chemistry I recall that most household dish washing detergent has Soda Ash in it which is higher on the PH scale than Salts such as Sodium Chloride and the Dawn simply neutralizes the effect of the salt because of this.

Anyone else ever hear of this?
I have heard of this too.

I have yet to try it but really don't have any issues with trying it. Being I am closed cooled I fresh water flush each motor for about 10min each, wash the boat while they are running. Then when I am done I WD40 everything down.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It depends if your buying or selling.