The Great Loop, Any HP Boats Do It? >

The Great Loop, Any HP Boats Do It?

Notices

The Great Loop, Any HP Boats Do It?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag

I believe there was a story about 2 college girls that did the loop in a aluminum boat with a tent on it, it was in a boating magazine I subscribed to a long time ago, I'll have to see if I can dig it up.
There was a guy that did it in a 24' pontoon boat in 56 days and two guys have done the whole loop on jet skis. I don't know if someone could pay me enough to do it on a jet ski.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To me, it would not be about setting a record, unless someone wanted to sponsor the $$. It is still on our bucket list, but in a diesel boat (like the Formula 400SS that Tom A. mentioned). I would plan on staying aboard for almost the entire trip to save money and meet the locals. Our plan is to spend an entire YEAR doing it.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Had a friend that did the entire Mississippi on a ski, north to south. Said it was fun, but wouldnt do it again.

Last edited by scarabman; 11-18-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: the education system failed me
Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Best resource on the Great Loop. http://captainjohn.org/ Gives details on the areas with no fuel and every other detail needed. Plan on departing north bound from northern Florida or South Carolina in the Spring if you plan on doing it in one season. I hold a masters license and Captain tour boats for Erie Canal Cruises along the historic Erie Canal (http://www.eriecanalcruises.com/). We meet all sorts of Loopers from around the world on the canal. On my Bucket List too.

Last edited by Ing; 11-18-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
Big,
There is NO WAY you can do that trip in 10-14 days! The Erie canal alone has over 50 locks.
....but I would sign up for your trip
FYI, The Erie Canal has 34 locks between Albany and Fairport, approx 365 miles. There are a total of 57 locks on the entire canal system but loopers only need to go through the 34. It's about 7 days to cross the state and you are 100% right that in no way can the loop be done in a few weeks.

There is plenty of free dockage along the canal at municipal concrete walls. Power and water are also available and those fees are next to nothing when compared to standard rates. You do need to pre buy a canal pass, 2-day, 10-day or season pass and for vessels over 39' its $100 for the season.

Last edited by Ing; 11-18-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

These two stories / threads will give you a bit of the flavour of what it is like to travel some distance on the inland waterways as part of the "loop". It covers about 1,100 miles on the Ohio, Cumberland, Tennissee, Tenn - Tombigbee Waterways and Mobile Bay. My advise is to to avoid any of the river systems in the spring of the year as all manner of debris is floating southbound particularly in a year of flooding and high water. I chose to travel the the Tenn - Tom over the Mississippi as there are long stretches on the Mississippi without fuel and is mostly commercial traffic while the Tenn - Tom is more friendly to pleasure boaters.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-part-1-a.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...tombigbee.html
Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

One of the generic boating magazines did a story on a pair of sisters in college that did the great loop in a small aluminum skiff and they stayed in a tent on the bow. I believe it was an editor's kids. It was a good story and showed anyone can do it in any vessel.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
One of the generic boating magazines did a story on a pair of sisters in college that did the great loop in a small aluminum skiff and they stayed in a tent on the bow. I believe it was an editor's kids. It was a good story and showed anyone can do it in any vessel.
Is there an echo in here????
Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this run on my list also. Did research on it. Docked next to a guy at a offshore race that had done it and talked with him a lot the night before the race. Think he did it in about 6 months in a old school Chris Craft like 50' or so. Gave thought to traviling from Detroit during vacation from work leave the boat in storage were my vacation time ran out so on and so on untill complete. Retired now havent thought about it much untill last week when my brother was in Cumberland lake mapping the bottom for Google.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. ... your all forgetting most go fasts are shiny $hit boxes!
I bet there's only a handful of oso members that own boats that could be continuously run for 200+/- hrs without breaking, sh1tting, spewing, or leaving them stranded.

your also not considering weather. When it rains in a trawler, nbd, turn on the wipers, watch the radar if needed and plug in the crock pot!!!

In a powerboat, put on your poncho and send me a pic

Last edited by scarab63; 11-19-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.