Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Big cat owners...What did you wish you knew? >

Big cat owners...What did you wish you knew?

Notices

Big cat owners...What did you wish you knew?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Big cat owners...What did you wish you knew?

I love my V but I'm noticing the boats that really always really get my attention are the 32'+ cats. I'm definitely a few years out but it's never too soon to learn as much as you can.

So now that you have your cat, what did you wish you knew before you bought your boat? Anything you would do differently?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I also love my 100mph Non Step V. Really not interested in any other V's unless they are 36+ Wave crushers AND go 120. Now we are in the same price range as a Cat.......So....

Dreaming about a 36+ Cat as the next boat. Also been trying to learn as much as possible to make the right decision.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. I would not buy a boat from Mark Smith
2. I would buy a running boat...so I might have time to use it.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Insurance, wish I would have priced out insurance...and my cat is not even a big one. Also, a bigger tow vehicle for a bigger boat could be a concern.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the jump a couple years ago and would never go back. I had two Fountains before and both were great boats but the speed and handling of the current boat is like going from a Camaro to a McClaren. The one thing that is a little bit negative is you really can't just cruise around at any speeds between 65 and 95 because cats will hop before they get to packing air. The boat below 65 just kind of wallows and doesn't drive great but when you get to 100 it is on rails up to whatever! You just can't cruise around with other V Hulls at 75 unless you want to just let the boat hop.My insurance did go up quite a bit. The cost per $1000 went up about 50% for the first year but started falling after year one but the other thing is the value of the boat went up quite a bit too so assessed value more than doubled so should the cost to insure. What would help that some is to get a smaller cat that is less than 100 mph and keep for a year or two then make the jump but I went from a V straight to a 130 mph cat. I repowered after first year as soon as I could get insurance and moved up in speed since I couldn't get insurance as a first time cat owner at the time for faster than 130. I agree the attention seems to be on the cats at the dock but when you drive one at 100-130 and feel in complete control and the boat just drives like a sports car you will understand and like I said I would never go back.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastlvr
I made the jump a couple years ago and would never go back. I had two Fountains before and both were great boats but the speed and handling of the current boat is like going from a Camaro to a McClaren. The one thing that is a little bit negative is you really can't just cruise around at any speeds between 65 and 95 because cats will hop before they get to packing air. The boat below 65 just kind of wallows and doesn't drive great but when you get to 100 it is on rails up to whatever! You just can't cruise around with other V Hulls at 75 unless you want to just let the boat hop.My insurance did go up quite a bit. The cost per $1000 went up about 50% for the first year but started falling after year one but the other thing is the value of the boat went up quite a bit too so assessed value more than doubled so should the cost to insure. What would help that some is to get a smaller cat that is less than 100 mph and keep for a year or two then make the jump but I went from a V straight to a 130 mph cat. I repowered after first year as soon as I could get insurance and moved up in speed since I couldn't get insurance as a first time cat owner at the time for faster than 130. I agree the attention seems to be on the cats at the dock but when you drive one at 100-130 and feel in complete control and the boat just drives like a sports car you will understand and like I said I would never go back.

My mystic doesn't hop at any speed.. Unless i have the trim messed up. It's the only cat that I have ever been in that you don't need to "Drive Thru" the hop.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jrider, are you on Minnetonka?
Thinking I might have seen you out there on my last run of the season

Originally Posted by JRider
Insurance, wish I would have priced out insurance...and my cat is not even a big one. Also, a bigger tow vehicle for a bigger boat could be a concern.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tborisch
My mystic doesn't hop at any speed.. Unless i have the trim messed up. It's the only cat that I have ever been in that you don't need to "Drive Thru" the hop.
Well it is a Mystic....
Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
Jrider, are you on Minnetonka?
Thinking I might have seen you out there on my last run of the season
Michigan pretty much full time now. I do know there was a profile cat with a quad rotor setup in MN for few years...not sure if that would be the boat or not.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tborisch
I think mine hops a little between 75 and 76 mph . LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.