Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wellcraft 23 Nova Spyder (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30550-wellcraft-23-nova-spyder.html)

ragtop409 09-09-2002 11:01 PM

Originally posted by gofastwannabe
I Need some advice on props. I understand 4 blades do not do well on Novas because of the rounded keel.
Has any budy budy else ever noticed anything funny with four blade props on rounded keel boats.:confused:

Sorry I did not post a new thred in Q&A but it dosent get the traffic:rolleyes: Charlie

jb 09-10-2002 06:18 AM

Abud of mine uses a worked 24 bravo 1 4 blade.
It loses a mph or two top end but he experiences far better handling and midrange.

CJC 09-10-2002 08:54 AM

That WAS what I had used. Now the new owner can figure it out on his own. Yes..... the boat has left the garage. :(

Had to be done. Now is the time to build. There will always be another boat out there - according to jb.

I spoke with a guy (had a 94 Nova) before I bought my Nova. He said he had tried just about every combination of props known. Advised to just get a Mirage 23 Plus and never try another prop.
Which is what I did - for the first 3 years....... Then jb gave me a 24 pitch 4 blade just to get me on the water for the day while my 23 was being worked. Well, I ended up getting the 4 blade worked instead. I lost 4mph on top end but my mid range was 8mph FASTER! Not to mention the handling was incredible. Felt like I was driving a whole new boat. I was never gonna be the fastest, so the top end sacrifice was worth the mid range and handling.

But, if you're looking for the fastest stock prop - definitely Mirage 23 Plus.

Checkmate283 09-11-2002 03:31 PM

Good friend of mine has a 1995 23 Nova....identical to yours on the interior. He had a 454/330.....ran mid to high 50's. Now he put in a 509 500hp. He runs 74-76 on radar. They are lighter than the earlier years. Another friend has a 1990 23 Nova 454mag....weighs same as my 283 Checkmate!

ezseas 11-16-2005 11:07 AM

Re: Wellcraft 23 Nova Spyder

What is the "Spyder" package? I've come across a '94 23 Nova "Spyder" with the 454 Mag for sale... apparently, it's immaculate with VERY little hours. He's asking 13 for it. I'm new to the offshore market.

jb 11-16-2005 11:46 AM

spyder package is...just a name

Kidnova 11-16-2005 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by CJC
Here is my Nova. I absolutely love it!! It's a '95 with 330hp. I have put just about everything you can put on a boat on this. Silent choice, docking lights, CD, bezels, canvas, graphics...etc. I can get 63 on GPS. You say it is too small and slow?????? What do you want for what you have invested? For the size boat it is, you can't find ANYTHING that rides as nice as this under 25'. The speed......we all want to go faster:cool: . I just wanted a boat that did 60..... Now, I want to skip 70 and go right to 80! The bottom paint has to go. You have a whole white boat. Take your time and do something good with it. My graphics got rushed and didn't come out like I wanted (they are still good). Good luck with it!

Wow...old post. I think I know this boat....

Actually it did do 62-63, but on the speedo, not gps.

It's been re-powered with a ZZ502/502, and does well over 62-63 gps now .... more like 72-73 gps :D

And if anything goes right, the ZZ502 will be re-worked a bit, and come next summer, the Humble Little Nova should do even better :drink:

You listen'n CJC??

fund razor 11-16-2005 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ezseas
What is the "Spyder" package? I've come across a '94 23 Nova "Spyder" with the 454 Mag for sale... apparently, it's immaculate with VERY little hours. He's asking 13 for it. I'm new to the offshore market.

They are perfectly good boats. Don't hear about em much on this site. Lots of guys started offshore boating with Novas. But if you are going to run in big water you might be able to find a 26 for that much money or so. The 21 and 23s handle big water, but the ride smooths out a lot at about the 26 range.

bobonthis 11-16-2005 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had a 23 1991 Nova not a spyder, I guess you could say was my first performace boat with a 454. Loved the boat rode nice in big water better then most 23's out there and with a few mods would do 63mph all day. I loved the boat. Very hard to find boats though. Took me a over a year to find this one and it was in near perfect shape. I should have kept it.BTW 13 is an average price for the spyder if it is in good shape. When I was looking for them 3 years ago they were in the $15,000 ball park in avg. condition.

ezseas 11-17-2005 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor
They are perfectly good boats. Don't hear about em much on this site. Lots of guys started offshore boating with Novas. But if you are going to run in big water you might be able to find a 26 for that much money or so. The 21 and 23s handle big water, but the ride smooths out a lot at about the 26 range.

Thanks for the input. I'll be in Lake St. Clair (Michigan), the biggest water I was in this past season was 3-4 footers. Looking around on the net, I found that it has a 20 degree deadrise; but people say it rides nice. A flat bottom and nice ride? Hmmm...
I'm still trying to find out what the "Spyder" thing is...
Keep 'em coming folks!