Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wellcraft 23 Nova Spyder (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30550-wellcraft-23-nova-spyder.html)

thedonz 11-17-2005 01:52 PM

Re: Wellcraft 23 Nova Spyder

i give you less then a year before you go bigger :evilb:

jr

Kidnova 11-17-2005 08:55 PM

23 Nova runs well in a good chop. 2's and 3's are great fun. Mine is fine with that at WOT. But, anything bigger, and it can get rough. I've been out in 4's and 5's but you really have to concentrate and keep the boat on top of the waves.

Take the swim platform off, and the 23 Nova (at least a 1995) is about 22 1/2 feet. The boat is small, but with it's weight at 4000 lbs. it will handle 2/3's just fine.

Take a good look at one when it's sitting on a trailer. They're stout as hell. Deep and wide, and they are comfortable. With some hp, real sleepers :D. They are an excellent lake boat. But if you're going to run off shore, or on the Great Lakes, I'd go bigger. Just MHO

pambs 07-05-2006 09:19 AM

i'm going to buy the same nova soyder shortly, but without an engine. Can you tell me what kind of engines i can install?

the guy that is selling it suggested that, i run a evinrude etec 250 outer engine and block the hole that the stock engine used to be

please help i'm new into this

pambs 07-05-2006 09:27 AM

forgot to indro myself, my name is Pambos and i'm from Greece and i'm 25

fund razor 07-05-2006 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kidnova
23 Nova runs well in a good chop. 2's and 3's are great fun. Mine is fine with that at WOT. But, anything bigger, and it can get rough. I've been out in 4's and 5's but you really have to concentrate and keep the boat on top of the waves.

Take the swim platform off, and the 23 Nova (at least a 1995) is about 22 1/2 feet. The boat is small, but with it's weight at 4000 lbs. it will handle 2/3's just fine.

Take a good look at one when it's sitting on a trailer. They're stout as hell. Deep and wide, and they are comfortable. With some hp, real sleepers :D. They are an excellent lake boat. But if you're going to run off shore, or on the Great Lakes, I'd go bigger. Just MHO

Ditto all of that.

Interestingly... the "newer" (early mid nineties) Nova 23s are pretty much the same boat as the older Nova 210XL. The 1979 NOVA 210xl had an LOA of 22.5 not including the teak platform and weighed about 3500 lbs dry.

Great all around boats.

fund razor 07-05-2006 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by pambs
i'm going to buy the same nova soyder shortly, but without an engine. Can you tell me what kind of engines i can install?

the guy that is selling it suggested that, i run a evinrude etec 250 outer engine and block the hole that the stock engine used to be

please help i'm new into this

Run away from that deal like the wind.

Do not buy a used boat from a guy suggesting that you "block" the transom cut out and run an outboard on that boat.

The correct way to restore the boat without further damaging it and destroying the integrity of the design is to replace the engine and drive with ones comparable to what was offered in the boat. My guess is that it had a mercruiser small block or big block and a single mercruiser outdrive.

The design of the boat and the selection of power and drive are all related. The balance, weight, and placement of drive in accordance with the X dimension are all critical to the safety and performance of the vessel.

If you are new to all of this you would be better off starting with less of a project.

jb 07-05-2006 03:56 PM

do not make the spyder an outboard boat...fund razor has great advise

pambs 07-06-2006 01:14 AM

thanks guys. What do other choises do i have for an inboard engine and are there any used engines i can buy somewhere?

fund razor 07-06-2006 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by pambs
thanks guys. What do other choises do i have for an inboard engine and are there any used engines i can buy somewhere?

You can buy used marine engines and drives. Not sure about the availability in your location though. If you really love that boat for whatever reason, you want to research what it had in it. Because it is the 23, I am not sure, but my guess is that it had a single 454 chevy based mercruiser and either an Alpha1 or a Bravo outdrive. Too bad that you don't have the old engine, even if it is blown or something... you could have salvaged all of the accessories, harness, manifolds, alternator, trim system... etc.

I can't stress enough that the hull your are considering must be very sweet, because you will spend much much more money restoring that boat if it is truly missing everything than it would cost you to buy a similar boat that is ready to go.

Don't underestimate how that project will nickle and dime you to death.

You will quickly exceed the cost of a complete boat in parts.

pambs 07-07-2006 01:14 AM

the boat is just missing the engine and the drive

the problem is that i cant find anything used here cause there are only 2-3 powerboats if the spyder counts in as one. Cyprus is an island, so not many powerboats mostly we got fishing, cuddies and big cruisers

anyone can recomend a shop that might got used engines and what about a drive, how i pick the right one?

thanks!!!