Whipple Offers PCM Upgrades for Mercury 8.2 Engines

Notices

Whipple Offers PCM Upgrades for Mercury 8.2 Engines

Old 04-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=BrianH244;4108872]
Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta

I'm not sure how any of that works. I didn't know if the PCM tune tricked the sensors or will they need to be unplugged?
No "tricking" the sensors. Just recalibrated to run properly.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dustin should be receiving my PCM tomorrow. I'm very anxious to see what kind of power gains I get and also to hear the boat without cats. I'm sure it will be much louder.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BrianH244
Dustin should be receiving my PCM tomorrow. I'm very anxious to see what kind of power gains I get and also to hear the boat without cats. I'm sure it will be much louder.
I would agree that you will have a much better sound quality.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How about some updates from those of you that have made the investment in the Whipple upgrade? It's June 3rd & has to be warm enough to boat Nationwide so I'm thinking someone has to have some positive feedback they can share.

I'm days away from pulling the trigger on a twin 8.2 pkg & one thing that came up was making a change to the spec'd drive ratio. According to Formula they normally mate 8.2 MAG's to Bravo III's w/ a 2.0:1 ratio & 30 pitch props but I asked that my boat be built to the same specs a MAG H.O. boat would be built to so that changed the Bravo III's to a 1.81:1 ratio & 28 pitch props.

My end game being the fact I'm trying to avoid the unnecessary purchase of 4 new props. Turns out new props might not have been enough if Formula believes a ratio change is recommended. Obviously this manufacturer & Model dependent, but this certainly would have been an oversight on my part assuming I could compensate for the increase in H.P. w/ a prop pitch change.

Last edited by NASCAT; 06-03-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Registered

I bought the stage 2 upgrade for my 496HO's 2004 baja 30 outlaw. It made the boat def sound more throaty, and more power. My boat was hitting 78-79mph at 5150rpm before hand. After the upgrade I hit 81mph and was hitting off the rev limiter with 29p Hydromotive quad 4x. I sold the boat before I could get the props repitched. Def a nice bang for the buck!!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Registered

I finally got to run mine, but had an alarm sound under hard throttle with it cutting out the motor. Turns out Dustin simply forgot to turn a exhaust manifold coolant temp guardian off. He just e-mailed me and said it's all fixed up. I should have some numbers this weekend. On my first test run it pulled really hard until my alarm sounded. I'm very anxious to see what I got on the top end.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I assume yours is a single engine application, correct? Still anxious to know how pleased you are w/ the upgrade.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BrianH244
I finally got to run mine, but had an alarm sound under hard throttle with it cutting out the motor. Turns out Dustin simply forgot to turn a exhaust manifold coolant temp guardian off. He just e-mailed me and said it's all fixed up. I should have some numbers this weekend. On my first test run it pulled really hard until my alarm sounded. I'm very anxious to see what I got on the top end.
Any updates? how did it run? I just installed the headers in mine with a MaxVolt and will be sending ECU to Dustin soon.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/rf...tml?sort=3&o=0

This is some photos of the new headers and the old manifolds with catalytic converters.

Last edited by rfgonzo; 06-19-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is some photos of the new headers and the old manifolds with catalytic converters.[/QUOTE]

The headers look really nice, who built them and do they terminate to the 4" hose at the same location as the stock risers? Are the cats perforated like a filter element, can't really tell from the pictures? Did Sunsation do the carbon fiber overlay on the coolant tank and painted the heat exchanger silver or is that stock from Mercury? And last of all, what kind of changes have you seen in performance? Thanks!
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.