CMI HEADERS 700 BOAT LEAKING NEED lOPTIONS >

CMI HEADERS 700 BOAT LEAKING NEED lOPTIONS

Notices

CMI HEADERS 700 BOAT LEAKING NEED lOPTIONS

Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two pair for sale in the classifieds.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o54595-en.html

I will give you 2 pair for $5000.

They do not leak.

Regards.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I would replace ASAP! We had headers go bad in all 3 700's in the donzi and both 600's in the formula. The cost of 5 new engines + 5 sets of headers is a lot more than just 5 sets of headers would have been.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem this past summer on my 525EFI's which use the exact same header and it cost me an engine. I believe the CMI/Merc headers were redesigned in 2010+, so those are better, but anything prior to that are much more prone to cracking and they WILL fail again. I'm not sure what year your motors are but if they are prior to 2010, I'd get them off both motors. It sucks to replace non-leaking headers, but sucks worse to redo the heads or replace the block when they fail and they will. The Merc replacements available now are better than they were but are twice the price of similar aftermarket replacements and I still don't trust their spec. I used the CMI Gen-X headers on my rear motor as they are a direct replacement for the 525/600/700 header and they have been fine, albeit only after one season. On the front motor, I had to use standard taller sport tube headers, also from CMI... The other option is Hardin Hurricane Lites, also a direct replacement but I don't have any personal experience with those. Given the exhaust plumbing on Fountains, if you went with Stainless Marine, there's a good change you will need to redo the tails too.. I am currently in the process of buying another Fountain with 600SCi's which uses the same headers and will most likely replace those immediately with Gen-X's.

Anyone with Hardin Hurricane Lites able to comment???
Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
I would replace ASAP! We had headers go bad in all 3 700's in the donzi and both 600's in the formula. The cost of 5 new engines + 5 sets of headers is a lot more than just 5 sets of headers would have been.
PPower: What headers did you put on the 600's?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:23 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnorthga
07 model 700 motors headers are leaking OMG new ones are out of sight

Had them fixed once by CMI
back motor rite side leaking again

What would you do or have you done about this problem if anyone can give some advice
That is about average life for CMI Headers. That is a LONG TIME for mercury headers.

I would just buy new ones and forget about them for the next 5-6 years!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by gnorthga
07 model 700 motors headers are leaking OMG new ones are out of sight

Had them fixed once by CMI
back motor rite side leaking again

What would you do or have you done about this problem if anyone can give some advice
Sorry, just re-read, see you said 2007. Replace them all.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=HyFive578;4029940]I had the same problem this past summer on my 525EFI's which use the exact same header and it cost me an engine. I believe the CMI/Merc headers were redesigned in 2010+, so those are better, but anything prior to that are much more prone to cracking and they WILL fail again. I'm not sure what year your motors are but if they are prior to 2010, QUOTE]

Is there any way visually inspect the headers to tell if they are new design or old design?

Thanks,
Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had the same issue with the race boat and just bought some GenX headers from CMI and so far they are fine.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Scagburner;4029969]
Originally Posted by HyFive578
I had the same problem this past summer on my 525EFI's which use the exact same header and it cost me an engine. I believe the CMI/Merc headers were redesigned in 2010+, so those are better, but anything prior to that are much more prone to cracking and they WILL fail again. I'm not sure what year your motors are but if they are prior to 2010, QUOTE]

Is there any way visually inspect the headers to tell if they are new design or old design?

Thanks,
Yes there is a way to tell. The old style outer tubes ran all the way down to the flange that bolts on to the motor. The Gen-X design does not. They taper in just before the flange. Maybe a half inch or so.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Saga continues... Sucks to keep reading about this stuff guys...

I recommend Stainless Marine or the Thunder n Lightning system by Diamond Performance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.