Key West Civic Leaders Confident City Will Keep the SBI Worlds

Notices

Key West Civic Leaders Confident City Will Keep the SBI Worlds

Old 11-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,230 Posts
Default Key West Civic Leaders Confident City Will Keep the SBI Worlds

An interesting update, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...the-sbi-worlds.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all up to JC isn't it? Not the son of God, but the other JC that thinks he is.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered

Kind of up to the city, hopefully they will do the right thing. Article said KW has not given a proposal yet, hope they dont wait to long.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
It's all up to JC isn't it? Not the son of God, but the other JC that thinks he is.
lol
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Registered

i'd like to see them at least rotate it through clearwater, sarasota, and kw. each place has a little something different to offer, and it keeps the scene interesting.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

The danger of Clearwater races is key west may realize not much of a drop in revenue. Also not having to organize police, coast guard, etc... may be seen as a blessing. I know we all love watching the races in key west but it sounds that FPC will still support the poker run and that still fills the boating void. I know the die hard racers will go to Clearwater but the majority of tourist during this time will not go to Clearwater. Key west is a destination and the races are an excuse for the wives and girlfriends. Tell the wife you're going to Clearwater and you don't even need an excuse.
I think this john carbonel is playing a dangerous game of chicken. What's to loose is key west realizing they don't need JC and his organization.

Last edited by BraceYourself; 11-21-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
The danger of Clearwater races is key west may realize not much of a drop in revenue. Also not having to organize police, coast guard, etc... may be seen as a blessing. I know we all love watching the races in key west but it sounds that FPC will still support the poker run and that still fills the boating void. I know the die hard racers will go to Clearwater but the majority of tourist during this time will not go to Clearwater. Key west is a destination and the races are an excuse for the wives and girlfriends. Tell the wife you're going to Clearwater and you don't even need an excuse.
I think this john carbonel is playing a dangerous game of chicken. What's to loose is key west realizing they don't need JC and his organization.
People like yourself and others that clearly have not been to or spent any time in clearwater or this area crack me up.

It's no KW as I have said.....nothing is. But it's not some odd ball sleepy town either. Regardless from that article it sounds like nothing more than what any city official wpuld say if a big even thought about leaving. The city proposal will paint a better picture.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Registered

jc is doing the right thing by shopping his options. kw is developing into a monopolistic attitude towards sbi, and they are not doing enough to encourage and retain the races there. powerboat racing is not a 'brand name' sport like football or baseball, so it needs more fans to get involved, and thus sponsors for the racers. that means a location that is cost effective to both the fans and the racers, and flat out, kw is NOT affordable to the average family for a weekend stay. hotels are 300% more expensive than mainland, and out in the middle of the ocean kissing havana, on a two lane intercoastal road is not exactly rapid transit. if i got a steak dinner week after week, and i started noticing the price of the same cut is rising, the potatoes are cold, and the restaurant manager did not make changes to improve the product, or adjust menu prices, i'd start eating at different restaurants to see what else the competition is offering.

and nate is correct - if you have not been to clearwater, don't go dissing it as some dead mans town. it's anything but. matter of fact, it's much easier on the wallet for new fans to get there or sarasota than kw. and clearwater is part of the tampa bay/st pete metropolitan radius, so there are tons more things to do for families and singles alike, than the conch rep.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Registered

KW put themselves in the situation they are in, you cant demand a better show and want more and more , and then cut back the funding when the races bring them the 2nd largest income week of the yr to KW. It is business and it would be much more cost effective for SBI to put a race on in CW , and in turn have more for the fan and also be more cost effective for the racers so more could afford to race.

KW shot the first warning shot by cutting funding, what not to say they do it again this yr and following yrs. They are of the mind set why pay they will come anyway LOL they need us ....wrong. SBI didnt even ask for more but less its going to work that to me is just pure greed, and it effects SBI, Racer, and the fans so how is that a win for any of us. Its not just SBI it everyone of us and alot of you seem ok with them taking advantage of us all to go to their town and spend our money and get bent over... !
Old 11-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

How many show up for the races in KW?

As for Clearwater being a small sleepy place, look at a map! Since I was a kid people have went there for vacations, and as said st Pete/ Tampa is right there.

I love KW but it will come down to money,,,,,,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.