Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Did I miss something getting nasty?  (gps thread) >

Did I miss something getting nasty? (gps thread)

Notices

Did I miss something getting nasty? (gps thread)

Old 08-10-2002, 12:53 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Cig 1....

When I come out to California for the SCOPE Run, and I have my GPS with me, what affect will the amplitude and frequency of the ocean waves have on my overall saltwater speed? And because it's GPS, will the tractor beam help with my airtime? Or will it just pull me up to the mother ship? yuk yuk

Trivia time!
1) How many satellites are in orbit (not including the ones in reserve) and how many orbital planes are they in?

2) Are they geostationary? Or can they be moved?

3) Why are there only 12 channels in the receiver? How come not 14 or 24 or......?

And here is an easy one....Does GPS know if you are on water, land or in air?

Last edited by LakeRacer; 08-10-2002 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dredge, you missed my point.

I know perfectly well what you are saying and you are correct. The thing is I boat on an inland lake with no current so my GPS agrees with my radar gun and my that is my speed in reference to the water I am running on. You are correct that they can use GPS to determine kilo speeds, but they use the average of two passes in opposite directions. They do this because they, and all boaters want to know how fast the boats are in reference to the waters surface and pitot tube speedos vary to much from gauge to gauge to be fair. If there is a current or wind in the kilo runs the speed could be faster in one direction than the other and the average of the two will be the actual boat speed in reference to the water. I guess my point is this. Boats run on water and the important speed is the one in ref. to the water they are running on. As for the math you and Audicity keep preaching, boat speed (in ref. to the water) equals GPS speed North plus GPS speed South divided by two. If you have another formula please share it with me, and provide details. I am a mechanical engineer and i like math. By the way I am pretty sure a few OSOers are using their GPS max downstream in a fast river as their boats speed in ref. to the water. But only a few.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Registered

if you read the rules on the kilo runs i'm sure it will explain how speed= distance / time. they do that because they can verify the speed with the calculation. the pitot speedo is relative to too many variable and subject to too many inaccuracies to use to verify a speed.

if your pitot speedos are so correct, in reference to speed, then develop one without inaccuracies (or minimal inaccuracies) and propose it's use to apba and sbi. tell me what they say.

why would they have developed gps speedos or the use of gps speed? another gimmick to sell. i doubt it. maybe to keep people honest.

take your gps and run both ways in the current and average speed. now you have your own mini kilo run. same principals applied. current, wind etc. are now factored in.

Last edited by Dredgeking; 08-10-2002 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:32 PM
Registered

If a canoe lands in the backyard and has 4 flat tires how many pancakes does it take to cover the roof of the doghouse?

Answer: Six because icecream comes in cones.

Ron
Old 08-10-2002, 07:52 PM
Registered

someone pass the popcorn, AAA no butter please
Old 08-10-2002, 08:35 PM
Registered

Lakeracer

1) 24 satelites in orbit.

2) They are not geostaionary. I assume they can be moved around because they have spares to replaced failed satelites.

3) There are only 12 channels in the reciever because only 12 satelites are visable from any one place on earth at any one time. The other 12 are on the oposite side of the earth.

GPS doesnt know if you are on water land or in the air. It does know your altitude though. You can change the data fields on a Garmin and one of the choices to display is altitude. On the marine units its basicaly useless and the accuracy is not there. Its like plus or minus 25 ft. On my unit sitting in my driveway it ranges up and down from 40 ft above sea level to 15 ft below. I assume the aviation models are different.

Ron

Here's a good question! Anyone know how many of the satelites have failed so far?
Old 08-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Registered

Dredge, you just reiterated my last post. Except for the GPS as a gimmick. I have one in my boat and it is cool as heck. I also have a Stalker gun and no longer use a pitot type speedo because of its inaccuracies. Oh ya I also know how fast my boat goes in ref. to the water surface. It isn't fast enough!!!! I have had enough of this one. Later!!
Old 08-10-2002, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Default GIVE THAT MAN....

Originally posted by rjcardinal
Lakeracer

1) 24 satelites in orbit.

2) They are not geostaionary. I assume they can be moved around because they have spares to replaced failed satelites.

3) There are only 12 channels in the reciever because only 12 satelites are visable from any one place on earth at any one time. The other 12 are on the oposite side of the earth.

GPS doesnt know if you are on water land or in the air. It does know your altitude though. You can change the data fields on a Garmin and one of the choices to display is altitude. On the marine units its basicaly useless and the accuracy is not there. Its like plus or minus 25 ft. On my unit sitting in my driveway it ranges up and down from 40 ft above sea level to 15 ft below. I assume the aviation models are different.

Ron

Here's a good question! Anyone know how many of the satelites have failed so far?
Give that man a cigar! Ron, email me your address and I'll send you a free t-shirt. And I hate to admit it, but I don't even know how many satellites failed and I use GPS every friggin day!
Old 08-10-2002, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Talking One more thing....

Here is a link that explains GPS in plain ole english. Easy to understand. GPS 101

And another link GPS 101A

Last edited by LakeRacer; 08-10-2002 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:37 PM
Registered

Woo Hoo! I really won something? I knew all this useless knowledge I have stored in my head would be good for something someday.

I read an article a while back that said thet some satellites have failed but I dont remember how many. They also said the number of remaining spares and what the failures were caused by.

Ron

Quick Reply: Did I miss something getting nasty? (gps thread)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.