Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
outboard desicion : johnson or mercury? >

outboard desicion : johnson or mercury?

Notices

outboard desicion : johnson or mercury?

Old 08-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My next door neighbor at the cottage runs 2 yamaha 250's on a 31 foot stinger.they have been very reliable but only push the boat to 56 mph
Old 08-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Merc rules if you want power. Always has. Johnson and Evinrudes are top quality today to, no problem with parts or service. Bombardier has really improved the product. But Merc still rules and they have a high performance department just for outboards.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

merc all the way ive had 6 mercs 1 johnson naver agin i've got a 1956 merc 40 hp neaver been a part runs as good as my new 90 hp merc yamaha is allright i gess a frend does all the rebulding of power heads on the coast of nc they all come to him but on johnsons you replace the block hyda tec in nixa mo is the yamaha hp expert but he is allso hops up merc
Old 08-09-2002, 07:07 PM
Registered

he said johnson, hehehaha
Old 08-09-2002, 07:23 PM
Registered

i am a yamaha mechanic.. so i might be a little prtial here but the yamaha is definetly the best...they just dont break.. usually customer error when they do.. yamaha also stands behind their products too.. just had a customer take out a power head on a sport boat that he admits to running WFO 90% of the time and has close to 1000 hrs on it ..it was 3 months out of warr and yamaha gave him a complete new slong block and all the labor to fix. only cost him for the haul and a few other incidentals.. i would also say that if i had to make the choice between mer or omc i would definetly choose merc.. just make sure you have a very competent shop rig it.. have heard some local horror stories about poor quality rigging causing much grief for people.. sorry so long post .. any yamaha questions feel free to ask...
Old 08-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Forget anything that used to be OMC and go from there!

I wouldn't even consider Johnson or Eninrude. I've worked on a few and hated em.
The first and obvious choice would be Mercury. On the other hand, I have to agree with much of what Fever Mike and George just said. The Yamaha has earned a great reputation among the bass boaters and tournement fishermen around these parts, (and folks around here take their bass fishin seriously!) So I too would look hard at the Yamaha. Plus, if I remember right, the Yamaha comes standard with some basic goodies, such as a stainless prop, where all the other brands are "no prop included". Those little "goodies" add up.
Let us all know what you decide on and why. Also, please let us know some performance numbers when it runs.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

I like Mercs
I like Yamahas

If speed was a concern, I would go with a Merc.
Otherwise, I would go with whichever had the best and friendliest dealer in your area.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by fountain1fan
merc all the way ive had 6 mercs 1 johnson naver agin i've got a 1956 merc 40 hp neaver been a part runs as good as my new 90 hp merc yamaha is allright i gess a frend does all the rebulding of power heads on the coast of nc they all come to him but on johnsons you replace the block hyda tec in nixa mo is the yamaha hp expert but he is allso hops up merc

How much did puder charge you to type this for you.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Bo Knows

Cool

Good one Bowtie !!

Old 08-10-2002, 12:43 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: outboard desicion : johnson or mercury?

Originally posted by timucin
pleasure boat. performance is not important as fuel consuption and engine-life
around 250 hp

which one would you choose?

a)johnson (omc)
b)mercury
I personally run Merc EFI Offshores.

But if you aren't looking for the Mercury top end performance and are looking @ fuel consumption, then let me suggest the Bombardier FICHT 25O.

My biggest trouble for having the family out with the Mercs is the SMOKE!!!

Bombardier seems to run smokeless and are so much quieter.

Here is a LINK if your interested...WWW.NJOUTBOARDS.COM

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 08-10-2002 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply: outboard desicion : johnson or mercury?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.