Notices

Carbs vs FI... Pros/cons

Old 11-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
Ok,

If I want to convert my Sterling carbureted 1100s (that ran flawlessly last summer, never lurched or died around the docks, and started every time I hit ignition) to EFI, what would I need to do?

They are currently at Native getting rebuilt and the boat is at Nauti Marine so now would be a good time if is truly worth it.
Here's who you should ask:

Sterling Peformance
1-248-684-5040
Ask for Mike
Old 11-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
You can do it a lot cheaper then that. Assuming you've already got an adequate fuel system, you could easily modify your carb adapters for injectors. A universal retrofit kit comes with a 1000cfm throttle body, ecu, wiring harness, fuel rails, weld in bungs, regulator, wide band, and all sensors for $1900. A second throttle body is $500, and a set of injectors is $300. $2700 total.
Or you could go with two throttle body injection units for a bit cheaper if you just want a bolt on option.
I was just quoted about $16,000-$18,000 all in to convert both motors. $5-6000 for a single carb + $6-800 for another throttle body + $800 for high pressure pumps……

Looks like I'll be running carbs for another year or 2.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
Here's who you should ask:

Sterling Peformance
1-248-684-5040
Ask for Mike
Great guy to talk to. Just too pricey for my pocket book.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM HAXBY, might have setup for you. otherside, I like people that cram bunch of gauges in dash to never check the. alarm lights are ok, but have to be scanned. a critical alarm needs to have a sound device that is a different tone(high pitch) from other devices to be heard at speed over engines. in determining carb or efi, what is comfortability of operator with running. as far as sensor,s most are common to autoparts stores, normally gm's. I think need to determine prior to building engine, carb or efi. their are some components that can throw off setting up and operation, not as bad as used to be, but better to start off in good position.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Would somebody get Eddie Young in here? I am dying to see what he says about this... I would also like to learn more about Cheif's electronic control management system, I think that thing even measures engine sound or some sort of harmonics. That being said, technology is your friend. If you can program on the dyno (and in the boat) for every conceivable variable, why would you want a carb? I think most are simply afraid of the technology. If you have a laptop you can usually diagnose in under a minute.

Besides, in your best Sean Connery/James Bond voice say "carb" then say "Electrooonic Fuellll Injectionnnne" - case closed
Old 11-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Would somebody get Eddie Young in here? I am dying to see what he says about this... I would also like to learn more about Cheif's electronic control management system, I think that thing even measures engine sound or some sort of harmonics. That being said, technology is your friend. If you can program on the dyno (and in the boat) for every conceivable variable, why would you want a carb? I think most are simply afraid of the technology. If you have a laptop you can usually diagnose in under a minute.

Besides, in your best Sean Connery/James Bond voice say "carb" then say "Electrooonic Fuellll Injectionnnne" - case closed
Why would you be dying to hear what Eddie Young has to say? Or even Haxby for that for that matter? They are both advertisers that specialize in EFI. There are guys that specialize carbs...what do you think they might say? Of course the marine industry is going to be trending towards EFI, it has always rode the coat tails of the automotive industry. Whats not being mentioned here is that there has been alot going on with carb development (of course on a smaller scale) in the last 10-15 years; stuff that was considered the hot set up then is now considered junk. Remember Bob Teague pushing the 830 Holley years ago? Anyone into carbs these days would tell you to throw it in the trash. A good carb guy claims he can set you up from accross the country, you can bolt it on and just adjust the idle. I guess I'm going to find out.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Why would you be dying to hear what Eddie Young has to say? Or even Haxby for that for that matter? They are both advertisers that specialize in EFI. There are guys that specialize carbs...what do you think they might say? Of course the marine industry is going to be trending towards EFI, it has always rode the coat tails of the automotive industry. Whats not being mentioned here is that there has been alot going on with carb development (of course on a smaller scale) in the last 10-15 years; stuff that was considered the hot set up then is now considered junk. Remember Bob Teague pushing the 830 Holley years ago? Anyone into carbs these days would tell you to throw it in the trash. A good carb guy claims he can set you up from accross the country, you can bolt it on and just adjust the idle. I guess I'm going to find out.
Let me know what you find out.... I'll need to figure out what the best carb is for a 509....
Old 11-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lotsa opinions on this topic.... So i take it I'm better off to find the best carb set up and tune it to my motors to them as my 2000 Merc MPI is outdated... When the FI advocates are talking recent EFI as the most dependable and efficient how recent are we talking about?
Old 11-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
I hear you can get a really good typewriter nowadays too..

I'm not saying EFI is better for a marine engine then a carburetor because I'm an EFI salesman, I say it because I'm an engine builder and proffesional tuner. Eddie will tell you the same thing, because he builds and tunes engines for a living, not because he sells efi. You have to look past the fuel portion of it, and look at the control and safety it adds to the entire package. I'm not scared of carburetors and tune lots of them at the track, and on my dyno. They make great power and can be dialed in very well, there are lots of good aftermarket offerings these days too, but I feel the only reason to run a carb on a marine endurance engine is because budget, and that's becoming less of a hurdle. If you've got a big dollar engine and want the best carb for it, it's still gonna cost some $. Then, if you want to really dial it in you'll need a sand alone wide band set up, then if you want to protect it, you'll likely want to buy some sort of knock control, or monitoring device, aftermarket ignition system... All that and way more comes standard on a basic modern efi system.

Last edited by HaxbySpeed; 11-30-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

I like dinosaurs . Because I am one .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.