Notices

what's going on

Old 12-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Envision
BV for a boat is almost non existent - especially with Performance boats. Way too many variables in particular as a boat ages & there is a diminishing supply. Yeah - a banker has to have something to use as a base or regulators would be all over them. Typically a consumer lender (bank or CU) has zero clue about the boat market or the collateral they are taking if outside of their normal course of business (autos, ATV, Ag Equipment, etc). If a buyer finds a clean boat, well maintained, etc. and seller won't sell at any less than $20K-$30K more than say NADA then the buyer would need to buck up w/the extra $$ down to fall within bank policy if they felt the well conditioned boat was worth it. I'd think it would be something to consider as quality/clean used boats are becoming rare. Buyers/sellers determine the MV. Hard to pin point a BV on Performance Boats. BV just satisfies lenders so they have a documented way to measure LTV with bank policy.
Agree totally with this and that BV is not market, however there are not many people able to purchase a boat without financing. Those that can, usually are purchasing high dollar boats and not a 31-35 foot boat like this thread referenced. Also, just ask anyone trying to get a loan on a 10+ year old boat. I would think boat repo's would be a tough business to be in.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:24 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Book values for most boats and especially custom builder boats, are pretty worthless. They are merely a guide for banks to use.
They do not use actual sales data to determine values.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
AMEN to all of you

I looked for a number of years for a Cobalt- the availability of a clean and gently used boat was VERY rare. All of the boats that I found were a mess. Owners never did any required maintenance, they were not kept clean, scratches in the gelcoat, outdrive and props that have hit everything under the sun. It drove me nuts to see people buy a new boat and then just trash it. The cost of a used boat is going thru the roof- Because there are a few that keep a boat clean, well maintained and used not abused.

3pointstar
I have a like brand new cobalt 343 with twin 525's in it. Nicest one you will find! Let me know if your still looking!

Tom
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This, especially when Blue Book doesn't even accomodate options past a certain level (like my engine size isn't in Blue Book for example). I still have people that try to low ball you and I'm below Blue Book already in my asking price.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleev-les
This, especially when Blue Book doesn't even accomodate options past a certain level (like my engine size isn't in Blue Book for example). I still have people that try to low ball you and I'm below Blue Book already in my asking price.

i agree with everyones statements its frustrating. I like most people ( i sssume) cant afford to go out and pay cash for the boat i want! I need to fiannce it. I know there are some out there that will say then " you cant afford it". Every sport cant be a rich mans sport. I have been involved in all sorts of motorsports and everthing takes a ton of money. I'm a working man and my wife,daughter and i love boating. Its really sad that you go look at 04's and up and they are trashed, my 99 looks like it just rolled off the show room floor compared to some of the boats i have looked at. I cant believe that people dont have enough respect for those things to take care of them. I'm tired of the low ball offfers from private and dealers! I NEVER thought upgrading to a bigger boat was going to be this hard!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There does seem to be a void of decently priced performance boats in that 4 to 8 year old range. You've either got over 10 years old and affordable or 4 years or newer and just too much money for the average Joe 6 pack making around 100 grand a year. Every boat I show my wife that we could swing paying cash for is too old for her and every boat she seems to like is more than we could write a check for.
That 5 year period when the lower end boat production came to a virtual halt is really having an impact now on the secondary market. What did Baja make in 2009??? 30 boats maybe when in 99' they probably built well over 500.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I feel your pain bossmjb I want to wait 2 more years before I upgrade... I am really afraid of the hosing i'm going to get...
Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm. Dealers want good, late models, private guys wants deals, and mine is still up for grabs. 08, 33' Avanti, 525's, Bravo XR's, ITS, Under 200 hours, recent valve job on both. Book price//// LOL Over 200 K. Yours for 135K. With Warranty.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Registered

Bossmjb

Went through the same deal last couple of years. Flew to look at a couple of "Mint" boats and walked away. Then I found the one I wanted to buy and had to go through crazy amount of paperwork to get the deal done. The bank I finally went through wanted more history on me than the my mortgage company. I just kept my old boat and if it sells it sells. Good luck with your search, the boat/deal you are looking for is out there. Greg
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdusa
and just too much money for the average Joe 6 pack making around 100 grand a year.
Let's face it the average joe 6-pack doesn't make 100k per year either. The market is the high end, look how well skater, outer limits, etc are doing.

They are not making small 100k. boats either. Just what it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.