Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would these sell if the big players like Outerlimits or Nor Tech sold a version? >

Would these sell if the big players like Outerlimits or Nor Tech sold a version?

Notices

Would these sell if the big players like Outerlimits or Nor Tech sold a version?

Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a picture somewhere of a Fountain 42 or 47 that was an open bow and it was almost as ugly as that Sunseeker a few posts ago!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I have a 32 mid cuddy open bow and really like it. For the type of boating that we do, it works great. I can hold a dozen people comfortably, and we have a large swim platform to hand out on when we are coving out. I have had crazy thoughts about making an open bow mid cuddy Cigarette/Black Thunder/Scarab. The main part of the cuddy would stay the same, but remove the bed and open it up. Maybe even a retractable or removable hard top cover for the open bow.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

In hot climates the cabins of any go fast are useless unless generator/ac are running......nobody sleeps in the cabin in Florida 8 months of the year, maybe a few in the 4 winter months. So the reconfiguration of the bow area with additional seats is very practical vs. dead space of a v berth. Some of the recent Cigs didn't even get v-berth, they got the cover girl cabin.

The idea of an insert piece/hard cover is dangerous on the open bow. If it breaks loose at speed it could decapitate passengers in the cockpit! I had a cushion (wood bottom) break loose once and it was like "whoa, watch out" when it came flying over our heads. It wasn't secured properly (user error) and popped up in 2-3ft seas at speed.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If engineered right a removable panel is no more likely to fly off than a car hood or tonneau cover of a truck is. the upside is that it look a lot nicer than a canvas cover.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by professor_speed
If engineered right a removable panel is no more likely to fly off than a car hood or tonneau cover of a truck is. the upside is that it look a lot nicer than a canvas cover.
Yeah but not too many cars/trucks are regularly launching off multiple waves at speed with a opening that flexes!

Sunsation did a soft cover on one of their 36's that had the paint scheme carry off the deck right through the cover and it looked really slick!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
you couldn't give me a bow rider... period a cc makes sense a bow rider doesn't
Really what's the difference besides console and seating placement?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I never understood the west coast craze of the open bow cats and the blurry lines between catamaran deckboats. Vhull or Cat it would be closed bow for me.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,234 Posts

For reasons of climate and owner usage preferences, mid-cabin open-bow sportboats have found great success on the West Coast. For the same reasons, I think, they never really caught on east of the Mississippi.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by clovins
I am very happy with my Monte Carlo. You can have 12 people on it and everyone has a comfortable seat. It is boat you can take the family out on and when you don't have the kids it goes 100 MPH.
There you go OP, there is a market!!!

I shot these pic's of a bowrider Donzi at the Houston boat show a few years ago.
Although it really didn't do it for me I thought about how awesome it would be to get the kids and grandkids in at the same time to go out on the water.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 12-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Registered

If you are looking for a MCOB then look at Nordic. They make that config in almost all sizes they offer. I love mine. The only thing I don't like is that at high speed the cabin becomes a wind tunnel unless you put the bow cover on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.