If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

OT; Yellowstone & snowmobiles

A temporary reprieve...sort of..

(August 6, 2002) - YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK - The National Park Service has extended the deadline for deciding the fate of snowmobiles in Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks by four months, moving it from Nov. 15, 2002 to March 21, 2003.

The latest plan is expected to allow snowmobiles in the park in controlled, reduced numbers and also make provisions to only allow cleaner-burning (perhaps only four-stroke) snowmobiles, as well as snowcoaches. It may also favor guided snowmobile tours and allow for changes to accomodate new research and/or technologies.

Charter Member Charter Member Ted G's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Marlago 35 FS, 18 Neptune CC
    Edgerock Baby!!
    You know, I was at yellowstone this summer and the immensity of the place really struck home. It is a sham for these enviro Nazis to take pollution readings at the ONLY freekin entrance to the place, where everyone is warming up the sleds, idling, etc. and then say pollution levels in the park are too high.

It would take every damn sled and PWC in the entire country to bring the air quality of the park down to that of your average city, and they would all have to be there at the same time. And since the sleds are kept to the roads, they don't even do any damage to the ground.

They also talk about disturbing the wildlife-I had a damn buffalo standing outside my cabin one morning-wouldn't even move when we walked by it. (Guess it's lucky he was in a good mood)
    Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association