Baja 242 Islander Engine Upgrade

Notices

Baja 242 Islander Engine Upgrade

Old 12-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Baja 242 Islander Engine Upgrade

Hi,

I have a 2006 Baja 242 Islander with a 496 in it producing 375HP geared to a Bravo 1 drive. I have been considering upping the motor and drive but I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with my options. I have considered a Mercruiser 525 geared with a Bravo 1 XR. As I research more I'm now considering Cobra Power and Chief engines, both in the 570-700hp range. I'm looking for more speed and better torque. Would anyone have an idea as to the increase of the top speed? I've heard a gouge of 1mph for every 13hp?

Currently the boat runs 58-60mph on a Mercury High 5 prop at 23P.

I'm looking for any feedback and suggestions. Right now it's more of a fact finding period than anything.

Thank you,

Jim
Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi Jim , In all honesty if I were you I would find myself a more performance oriented boat . Not saying that to be mean just saying because I am a guy that built a strong 383 stroker and put it in a 21' Four Winns . I wish I wouldn't have wasted my money and time . It was a long hard process to get everything set up right so the boat would handle and in the end went 68 mph radar . Anyway you can see in my avatar the direction I went to satisfy my speed tooth and still want more . So take it from a fellow boater that once stood where you are standing , trade or sell your Baja and step up now and completely bypass the wasting time and money part . Well it could be said that all boats are a waste of money but you get my drift . There are still deals to be found on good go fast hulls and the guys here will help you find what you seek . In the end it's your boat and if you want to make it faster more power to you . Welcome to OSO .

Last edited by the deep; 12-10-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How fast do you want to go? Randy
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Hi Jim , In all honesty if I were you I would find myself a more performance oriented boat . Not saying that to be mean just saying because I am a guy that built a strong 383 stroker and put it in a 21' Four Winns . I wish I wouldn't have wasted my money and time . It was a long hard process to get everything set up right so the boat would handle and in the end went 68 mph radar . Anyway you can see in my avatar the direction I went to satisfy my speed tooth and still want more . So take it from a fellow boater that once stood where you are standing , trade or sell your Baja and step up now and completely bypass the wasting time and money part . Well it could be said that all boats are a waste of money but you get my drift . There are still deals to be found on good go fast hulls and the guys here will help you find what you seek . In the end it's your boat and if you want to make it faster more power to you . Welcome to OSO .
Listen to him ^^^^^^^^^^^^

What you are talking about doing is spending 30-40k+ on a boat that is probably worth 35-40k. You would be much better off selling your 242 and using that 30k+ to upgrade boats.
Also, if you decide to upgrade power, you would need to add hydraulic steering.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

they are correct however try putting a -2 inch imco lower unit on it first and see how it runs you could pick up as much as 5mph by doing this. and if you upgrade boats you can take it back off and put the old lower back on and sell it as a stock boat and use -2 lower on the next boat.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...e-upgrade.html
Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you all for your input. I put the thought of re-engining on hold during the holidays. Now that we are in the dead of winter I have the itch again.

I'm running the High 5 purely for water sports. I have a 3 blade 23P that came with the boat but I found my hole shot was not that great, hence the additional purchase. It is my understanding that there is a kit from Mercury that can up my 496 to 425 HP similar to the HO model for around $3K. I've seen ads for headers that claim an extra 46HP for around $3K as well.

Griff, can you educate me on the need for hydraulic steering if I go to the 525?

Has anyone worked with Cobra Power and if so, what has been your results?

Finally, my last time out this season I was not getting full WOT. A talk with my mechanic and a visit to a Mercruiser repair center and $2.5K later my fuel cooling module was replaced. Mercury is well aware of this problem (paint coming off of the inside of the module and jacking your fuel system) but takes no responsibility for it.

Thank you all again. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year!