Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lycoming T-53, 1350 hp coupled to the ASD8 Drive Unit. >

Lycoming T-53, 1350 hp coupled to the ASD8 Drive Unit.

Notices

Lycoming T-53, 1350 hp coupled to the ASD8 Drive Unit.

Old 08-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lycoming T-53, 1350 hp coupled to the ASD8 Drive Unit.

cool package from arneson industries.anybody have any idea about prices?
total weight?
service procedures?
is it hard to maintain?
spare parts for engine?
consumption?
Old 08-10-2002, 03:56 PM
ronrally

Default T53... one sweet powerplant

I'm sorry that I don't know anything about the package you are describing, but I saw a boat last weekend with twin T53's in the Thousand Islands area. These are the sweetest sounding engines I've ever heard. They seem to be pretty practical too. The boat was a 46' skater with a turn-key setup. No hastles... jump in and go.

The reason that I replied is that a friend told me about a website that talks about creative air-flow solutions for the turbines. Appartently with the T53 the air goes in the back of the engine and the exhaust comes out the front. Lots of missed opportunity for performance if it's not installed right. If you're interested I'll dig up the web link and let you read about it yourself. Let me know.

Later. Ronny

Old 08-10-2002, 04:36 PM
Registered

yes pls!
I need all info about these engines...
thnx
Old 08-10-2002, 04:48 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

thery are helicopter engines. Ask Steve David about them. He is on this board and races an unlimited Hydro taht has one. No ASD but he knows a thing or two about eth engein itself.

ALso contact Howard Murray [email protected] his conpany does turbine conversions. And would be happy to answer your question about them. They have 300hp turbine that weight 160 lbs and can be hooked up to a bravo. Might be kind of fun in a small boat.

They also do much bigger power too.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:54 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

uhhhh . . .your not gonna put it in your 28skater are you ? an if you do, can i have a ride
Old 08-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Registered

glassdave:

no of course not.if you see my posts I am trying to find out the fastest combination and I am trying to do this with a smarter budget.

I was very seriously concentrated on 1000+ pistoned engines and ssm drives but after I saw callan-cat running around 200's , with lycomings I have changed my mind.

I also learned that there is only one thing , cannot be broken in water is :arneson

now I am interested in turbines and arneson drives.

this is not a project for tommorrow or next month.If you decide what to do exactly and have enough time to wait then everything is easier ,cheaper .

example : there were two asd-10 arneson in-line drives (used) for sale . 5000usd each.my best friend also my biggest enemy bought them 2 weeks ago.I was late ,actually I heard after he bought them .They could have been mine.(well I dont believe I will have a second chance to find another pair in Turkey but who knows...)

same for engines I have found three engines in nevada-US rebuilt for industrial or marine use for 8000usd each.talked to the seller he said he can arrange everything for marine use.

I think I am sure about powerplants and drives.But I will keep on asking questions ,learning advantages-disadvantages etc. at the end when I make my final desicion I will collect the parts and start building the boat.

I've got xxxtra spare time !!
Old 08-10-2002, 09:28 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Hi,

The T-53 is quite similar to the T-55L7C we run in our Unlimited.
Both exhaust out the rear of the engine. In some boat installations this would appear to be the front but that's because they have installed them backwards so the drive shaft exits the rear. It's formal configuraiton has the drive shaft exiting thru the front of the compressor section. Piciture one of these sitting on the ground. The front to the left. As you move to the right you'll encounter the compressor section (from which N-1 is retrieved) as you move further to the right you next encounter the power turbine section, also known as the HOT SECTION. (from which N-2 is derived). As the compressor pushes air back to the power side, fuel is induced and ignited thus "exploding" and rotating the power wheels. The internal power shaft is connected to this section and runs from the rear back to the left or front of the engine. In our case it connects to a V drive.

In the reverse setting, the shaft would exit the transom and connect to some drive system, be it an outdrive or Arneson etc.
Be aware that these engines generally need 4 parts of air for each part of power. That other 75% of air that isn't used to produce power is used to cool the engine. A couple of boat builders have restricted the intakes too much and fried more than a fair share of engines, as well as interiors, plumbing, etc.

The air loop, meaning the intake and exhaust must be clearly separate as if they are close to each other, you'll simply intake exhaust and fry the engine. They are HIGHLY temperature sensitive. They also dislike salt so your intake system must be such that no salt water can enter the engine. These are like giant vacuum cleaners so the entire engine compartment must be sealed off from any salt water intrusion possibilities. There are pretty decent commerical air/water filters available but they do increase operating temps and continue to increase them as they become salt encrusted.

We've been using these in our Unlimiteds for 13 years now and pretty much have developed them to a bullet proof condition. We do limit fuel to 4.3 gallons per minute, and limit N-1 to 100% and N-2 to 110%.

One of the most knowledgeable guys in the business works at Competition Specialities in Auburn WA (Near Seattle). Ask for Butch Corning or Jim Lucero. They built the engines for the Smokin Joes, Winston Eagle and a host of other Unlimiteds. This is their livlihood so be prepared to invest some for their insight. It's well worth it!

Good luck,

Steve
Old 08-11-2002, 11:14 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Dismantling turbines

Steve - I suppose that both you and Chip could offer some hints on how to dismantle these Lycomings REAL fast!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 02:55 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

C-Spray,

Indeed, but not in a manner that pleased our engine guys

In the good old days when we were spinning them 120% and more with the governor backed way out, we'd puke the hot section clear thru the Kevlar blanket and that 55lb disc would just sail. In the mid 90's Vilwock, driving the U-100 PICO blew a hot section in turn 3 at San Diego and the wheel flew over the pits, across Mission Bay Drive into the parking lot of the Princess, now (Vacation something resort) and it bounced between two cars wiping out the door panels. (about 1/4 mile !!!! )

Since the limitations on N-2 output and fuel flow to 4.3 that kind of thing hasn't happened. Leland has blown several hot sections this year, but I believe they are trying different fuel systems, air ducting etc. Mighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ testing.

Take care Chuck,

Steve
Old 10-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Turbine

That PB article is the best thing that ever happened to Firestorm. I wonder how many boats they have actually built.

Quick Reply: Lycoming T-53, 1350 hp coupled to the ASD8 Drive Unit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.