Notices

Silent choice

Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silent choice

Looking to see if anyone know's a good shop in the Midwest to install silent choice on a baja hammer. Live outside of Indianapolis and a couple dealers around here but no one that seems very knowledgable on the silent choice systems
Old 12-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I will say is becarefull on your state laws!
Not sure where you are, but here in MN Cutouts are illegal thus I would 'assume' not too many would be willing to install after the fact.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
All I will say is becarefull on your state laws!
Not sure where you are, but here in MN Cutouts are illegal thus I would 'assume' not too many would be willing to install after the fact.
The boat has thru hull on it now. I'm wanting to have the option of quieting the boat so I can use it on a private local lake in Indiana.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow this is a revelation. I didn't know there were noise restrictions on water - if that is the case then shouldn't the manufacturers state in a sales information that certain exhaust configurations may or may not be allowed in certain states??? This is the first I've learned of this requirement.

Thank you

Thoughts

3pointstar
Old 12-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm in indianapolis on Geist. We have a 22 a Donzi, 38 Formula and 43 Donzi and have never once been asked about open exhaust. The small Donzi does have captains call so I do quiet them down if idling by DNR. Best bet is to talk to Gary at Marine Center off Emerson and 465. They use to carry Baja's and Gary is pretty knowledgeable on performance boats in general. He will take care of you.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Registered

Zeke @ Complete marine St Charles mo He's done lots and lots
Old 12-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
I'm in indianapolis on Geist. ..... Best bet is to talk to Gary at Marine Center off Emerson and 465. They use to carry Baja's and Gary is pretty knowledgeable on performance boats in general. He will take care of you.

Surely someone at MC can install silent choice. They been around along time and this isn't a performance boat thing. Heck, the receptionist could do it.
Last I heard this summer, Gary moved to FL.
BTW, switchable exhaust ( a means to switch exhaust from helm) is illegal in IN. Your better off (legal) to keep it thru hull and loud full time vs, have the option to quiet it down. Crazy ain't it? That said, I have silent choice and never had any problems in all my yrs either.

If you can pull the motor yourself, piece of cake. I find it odd you state the few dealers in Indy aren't knowledgeable on silent choice. Who did you check with?

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-12-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Then I would suggest changing the tips out, I closed my silent choice and removed the actuators--Sealed them up
Then installed a couple pairs of the Teague 450s tips. Wired it so when the batteries are switched on they are closed.
This gives me the best of both, still have the y-pipe because I do not have the means of pulling the engines and yet kep the factory thru hulls as well.
Me exhaust has mufflers per MN statue as well as being partially directed under water.
I just barely pass!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.cpperformance.com/t-state_noise_laws.aspx
See the link above. Switchable exhaust appears to be illegal in Indiana. It’s the same in PA – I found out the hard way back in 2008. I was being stopped by the patrol and switched the exhaust to quiet. I was written up for it and instructed to get it permanently disabled on silent or be red tagged and tossed off the lake forever…

PA law goes something like this – “Any modification to the exhaust that reduces the effectiveness of the muffling system is illegal. Cut outs and diverters are illegal.”

Basically if it has to ability to be silent and you flip the switch you have “reduced the effectiveness of the muffling system”.

I will NEVER pay extra for switchable exhaust again.

Last edited by Scagburner; 12-12-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

State of MN is the same, with the exception it MUST have mufflers!
Well since my Silent choice was illegal and allowed me to bypass the muffler--under water. I remove the actuators, and upon installing the Teague 450s that have built in mufflers I now and legal on that aspect. As for the switching, it is only switched by way of turning off the batteries! Well thus the motors as well
So I take it as I have mufflers on both exits of water floor--under water and the tips. As well I am NOT switchable while underway.
I too only found out about all the laws after the fact, and truly wish I would have just gone with something like the Imco Mega Mufflers, but I am not sure those were out at the time I bought the 450s

Originally Posted by Scagburner
http://www.cpperformance.com/t-state_noise_laws.aspx
See the link above. Switchable exhaust appears to be illegal in Indiana. It’s the same in PA – I found out the hard way back in 2008. I was being stopped by the patrol and switched the exhaust to quiet. I was written up for it and instructed to get it permanently disabled on silent or be red tagged and tossed off the lake forever…

PA law goes something like this – “Any modification to the exhaust that reduces the effectiveness of the muffling system is illegal. Cut outs and diverters are illegal.”

Basically if it has to ability to be silent and you flip the switch you have “reduced the effectiveness of the muffling system”.

I will NEVER pay extra for switchable exhaust again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.