Notices

Opinions on a bare hull

Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

I think some people get blinded by the sheer size of a hull and equating it to value (after all it is big, it has to be worth something!). Sadly it is all the smaller pieces that have the value (motors, drives, gauges, interior, etc).
Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

I think it has a lot to do with exactly what the hull is. if its unique or highly sought after/fairly rare and a completed example still holds a strong number then in some cases they are worth doing but in the case of Scarab or Baja or the like then probably best to find one thats complete. its really a matter of simple math, we know the numbers its not hard to figure out

older thirty plus foot scarab, baja, etc with no rigging at all really arent worth much.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-12-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
I am curious what everyone thinks the value is on a completely bare hull 30-35 foot in length, needs some paint work. Good shape and the only thing the hull has in it are the fuel tanks. I know it's a vague picture to paint but trying to put a resonance value on something one this.
Close your eyes; what do you see?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think zero is a little high. unless you have a rigged boat to strip into it, it will cost more to build than it is worth when done. AND, you will end up rebuuilding every component you remove from other boat. in the end, you will spend 2 years building it and spend 5 to 20k in the process. a rigged boat that needs motors and drives is worth somewhere between 0 and 5k. and the irritating thing is he got scrap value for the wiring, guages, rubrails, etc. and had to pay to dump the seats, etc. let him scrap the hull...
Old 12-13-2013, 05:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 96 formula that was in tact... and ran.....and reasonably clean I spent 60K on it last year and still don't reallly have it where I want it to be I am sure just a Hull you would be saving money!!!! LOL
Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

I agree with the comments suggesting little to no value.

Unless it's a BRAND NEW hull or a historically noteworthy boat (just walked around old Little Caesar's Apache 2 days ago which is a bare hull and now has a tree growing in the bilge); it's not worth much at all.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I agree with the comments suggesting little to no value.

(just walked around old Little Caesar's Apache 2 days ago which is a bare hull and now has a tree growing in the bilge); it's not worth much at all.

That's too bad.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Hmmmm is little Caesars available real cheap? An old apache is prob the only bare hull I'd consider.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Hmmmm is little Caesars available real cheap? An old apache is prob the only bare hull I'd consider.
Yeah because they are soooo cheap to power/restore! How many restored Apaches linger on the market? The best 47 out there (Spirit of Apache) went through an amazing restoration and it still didn't sell (started at 1.2mm and was down to about 399K if I remember correctly).

A nice 33 Powerplay hull, TS Cig hull and a few others might have some value but a production boat of which there are many inexpensive running examples probably have no value.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Team Saris started with a old used hull that had all the problems that a old boat brings with it and look at the boat today.
I don’t think that hull was free.
Maybe you should ask can I make a worth less hull into something cool and safe. The hull and deck is on the front line when you pour the coal on.

Sydways talks about just walked around old Little Caesar's Apache now has a tree growing in the bilge it’s not worth much at all.
I get the feeling from this tread that a old hull and deck is a delicate flower. Until you put in two 850s in the engine room and then it will take anything you throw at it.

Some boats are worth less even when the boat was new it was junk. Do your home work some hulls have some high end fiberglass layup schedule with good core that you may not be aware of.
Good luck and have some fun with it. It's just a boat.

What else do you have to do in Erie, PA US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.