Notices

would you pay?????

Old 12-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 251 Likes on 100 Posts
Default would you pay?????

took a couple of 540 short blocks to a well known builder here in west Michigan back in early September. I wanted them inspected to see what they would need in terms of parts and machine work. also wanted to start collecting the parts like heads, cam, etc. as its easier for me to pay for the stuff as I went along. stopped by around mid November and the only thing done was the pistons and cranks were out of the block. I was told he would work on them next week and would call me to let me know what he found. never heard anything so I stopped this week by and found they were pushed in the corner buried three motors deep obviously having no intention of doing anything soon. after some unpleasant discussions with and employee and him I decided to take them home with me. now he wants $400 before he lets me take them back as a charge for disassembly. does $400 sound reasonable for taking out 16 pistons and removing the rods? personally I don't see how it could take more than 2 hours to do this.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay it now, get your parts back, and walk away. These things can get very ugly fast. Worth every penny to make a clean break.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

What RedDog says, possession is the key. Once you get them back, get a permit to protest in front of the shop. I've heard stories like this before, you protest, and the shop will pay you back.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 882 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
What RedDog says, possession is the key. Once you get them back, get a permit to protest in front of the shop. I've heard stories like this before, you protest, and the shop will pay you back.
Yeah, protest outside in Dec in Michigan.........let me know how that goes!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SABER28
took a couple of 540 short blocks to a well known builder here in west Michigan back in early September. I wanted them inspected to see what they would need in terms of parts and machine work. also wanted to start collecting the parts like heads, cam, etc. as its easier for me to pay for the stuff as I went along. stopped by around mid November and the only thing done was the pistons and cranks were out of the block. I was told he would work on them next week and would call me to let me know what he found. never heard anything so I stopped this week by and found they were pushed in the corner buried three motors deep obviously having no intention of doing anything soon. after some unpleasant discussions with and employee and him I decided to take them home with me. now he wants $400 before he lets me take them back as a charge for disassembly. does $400 sound reasonable for taking out 16 pistons and removing the rods? personally I don't see how it could take more than 2 hours to do this.

Just pay the $400 and make it a lesson learned....After all they have been stored at his location for 3+ months (even at $1 each per day, that is $180) then $220 to tear them down........$400

Projects like this are a headache for the engine builders (torn down motors taking up space, guy is buying parts online one piece at a time, doesn't need them back in any sort of time frame).......Look at it from his perspective, if he dropped 2 junk motors in your living room 3 months ago and you had to look at them everyday what would you charge him?

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 12-14-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Yeah, protest outside in Dec in Michigan.........let me know how that goes!
Yea, I guess that would be tough going. Sometimes I forget I live in the great state of Texas!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Yea, I guess that would be tough going. Sometimes I forget I live in the great state of Texas!!!
It is 80 degrees in Florida, I took my kid to a café on the beach for breakfast and then to the clubhouse to play in the snow......the HOA dumped a 20 X 20 pile on the grass for the kids to play in!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The labor rate for mechanical work is at a minimum $100.00 per hour. I can easily see 4 hours labor just putting them on stands,moving them around, and tear down. Does not seem unreasonable to charge that, but I am also in the automotive business . Jeff Wurl
Old 12-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 251 Likes on 100 Posts

well its been 100 days or so. its not my fault they were there that long in the first place. I think im in a situation where he took on the work without having the time to do it thinking that once they were in his shop he has the job locked down. ive seen this over and over in my line of work. what really surprises me is the shout down and intimidation I got when I told him I was just going to pick them up and take them home.

btw I don't consider them junk motors, they are 540 merc bulldogs
Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1,188 Likes on 566 Posts

clear you PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.