Old 12-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REALLY.......Lol
Old 12-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbatee
The Public Relations here was all bad PR. This was about as poorly handled as it could of been.

Fact is, the City of Key West hasn't learned anything because they didn't give anything to SBI. The City does not pay for events and they do not provide (pay for) services for events in the City. it a long standing policy. They City has so many events, regardless of the importance of Race/Poker Run week, if you give them something here comes a line of twenty other events with their hand out. So SBI's deal in Key West is the same as before.

This is a simple case of Clearwater pulling back, Sarasota never really being a serious contender and in the end, SBI having to crawl back with it's hat in hand to Key West.

Nothing changed here and yes it is sad.

false
Old 12-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Registered

Fountain of mis information Lol
KW did the right thing give credit where credit is do, they said the would get back to SBI and a discission would me made and it would be before yr end as John said it would be at the awards dinner. Fun Bubbatee didnt see you in the meeting Hummmmmm.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:06 AM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Has anyone heard if the PR was going to be a different date. If that was to happen if would work out for the city with another strong week for them. It would free up rooms for the racers and the PR if it was on different dates and give the PR more access to space to put their trailers and equipment.
Are you talking about the Key West poker run going on a different week??? If so, brother im not going down twice in a month....

If its between taking my boat to Key West or watching the race? I think its pretty easy to figure that one out! lol
Old 12-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Registered

I was just curious didnt know if it was talked about at all. I know there was a lot of post when there was talk about the races going to CW, and alot of the PR's said that possible they would do some kind of speed run simalar to Loto. Didnt know if that was still in the works of trying to put on their own event on a different week, and not piggy backing off the races.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

I am glad it's in KW but if they are a year by year basis to keep it there. That doesn't sound solid at all and if KW drops the ball I am sure SBI won't have a problem moving it next time around.

Sounds like the city, sponsers, and everyone involved need to make sure 2014 is a good year for spectators and races from the big guys to the little ones too.

We shall see.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 12-21-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Registered

I think they are getting close to signing a 5 yr contract, but that is yet to be seen.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

I think they are getting close to signing a 5 yr contract, but that is yet to be seen.
If I was SBI (and I am certianly not) I would give it a run this year and see how they do then go from there. Just my thoughts on it.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Registered

Default Don't shoot the messenger

Fountain of mis information Lol
KW did the right thing give credit where credit is do, they said the would get back to SBI and a discission would me made and it would be before yr end as John said it would be at the awards dinner. Fun Bubbatee didnt see you in the meeting Hummmmmm.
That's because you would't know me if I was standing next to you and that doesn't have any bearing here anyway.

I've attended every race in Key West since early 70's, I live hear I know how things work inside the city and with the hospitality industry.

I just want this thing to be seen for what it is, the same as it was before.

One thing should be clear here. I think this deal stinks because the city basically played the game that SBI would come back and didn't do anything to fix their relationship in a straightforward way. So this issue is not solved for the long term.

Politician's will say anything to make themselves look like heroes but, the city manager who brokered the deal with SBI throughout this ordeal always said SBI would come back to Key West and felt like the deal that was on the table prior to Clearwater was fine (this was communicated in several radio interviews here you may not of heard). The city has not provided any more incentive for SBI other than to pat each other on the back and put on a good face.

Read the resolution when it goes before the Commission next month for approval. There won't be any new deals for SBI. Same old stuff.

It's going to be up to SBI and it's local partners to iron out their differences and bridge the gap.

It's too bad the Clearwater thing didn't work out for SBI. It was obviously a much more turn key opportunity for them. Pulling this off in Key West is always going to be a lot of work. That's why I said, SBI had to come crawling back because, I can't imagine there is anything more difficult than to walk away from a tightly organized effort which has a lot of professional support and cooperation, only to return to the deal in Key West that you thought unworthy before.

Never a good way to "restart" your relationship.

I believe Nate5.0 is exactly correct. SBI won't sign a five year deal for basically a bunch of politicians to say "how great this is" while bringing zero to the table that doesn't cost SBI by paying for city police, fire and public works to facilitate it. The commission will never cut SBI a special deal to curb expenses for fear it will cause a backlash with other events and certain special interest who would smell blood in the water. Politicians sole goal is reelection, you shouldn't expect any to stand up tall and champion this effort.

The hard work will fall on SBI to go out and pound the street and make marketing dollars directly with sponsors locally. Good luck to them.

SBI ought to take this year by year. Keep it's options open because, why tie yourself up for multiple years when you don't have to.

As for the Poker Run, moving to another week, that would hurt SBI Tourist Development Revenue Share. This year that was cut to 100K from 120K. Those monies are based largely on occupancy rates for the event week. So if Florida Powerboat Club takes those rooms to another week, not only will FPC get credit for their own event and have data to support their own occupancy rates but, that would mean SBI would get even less money the next year because occupancy would have dropped. Yes your hotel rates might drop a bit but, SBI could loose another 25-35K. It's a vicious circle.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bubbatee
That's because you would't know me if I was standing next to you and that doesn't have any bearing here anyway.

I've attended every race in Key West since early 70's, I live hear I know how things work inside the city and with the hospitality industry.

I just want this thing to be seen for what it is, the same as it was before.

One thing should be clear here. I think this deal stinks because the city basically played the game that SBI would come back and didn't do anything to fix their relationship in a straightforward way. So this issue is not solved for the long term.

Politician's will say anything to make themselves look like heroes but, the city manager who brokered the deal with SBI throughout this ordeal always said SBI would come back to Key West and felt like the deal that was on the table prior to Clearwater was fine (this was communicated in several radio interviews here you may not of heard). The city has not provided any more incentive for SBI other than to pat each other on the back and put on a good face.

Read the resolution when it goes before the Commission next month for approval. There won't be any new deals for SBI. Same old stuff.

It's going to be up to SBI and it's local partners to iron out their differences and bridge the gap.

It's too bad the Clearwater thing didn't work out for SBI. It was obviously a much more turn key opportunity for them. Pulling this off in Key West is always going to be a lot of work. That's why I said, SBI had to come crawling back because, I can't imagine there is anything more difficult than to walk away from a tightly organized effort which has a lot of professional support and cooperation, only to return to the deal in Key West that you thought unworthy before.

Never a good way to "restart" your relationship.

I believe Nate5.0 is exactly correct. SBI won't sign a five year deal for basically a bunch of politicians to say "how great this is" while bringing zero to the table that doesn't cost SBI by paying for city police, fire and public works to facilitate it. The commission will never cut SBI a special deal to curb expenses for fear it will cause a backlash with other events and certain special interest who would smell blood in the water. Politicians sole goal is reelection, you shouldn't expect any to stand up tall and champion this effort.

The hard work will fall on SBI to go out and pound the street and make marketing dollars directly with sponsors locally. Good luck to them.

SBI ought to take this year by year. Keep it's options open because, why tie yourself up for multiple years when you don't have to.

As for the Poker Run, moving to another week, that would hurt SBI Tourist Development Revenue Share. This year that was cut to 100K from 120K. Those monies are based largely on occupancy rates for the event week. So if Florida Powerboat Club takes those rooms to another week, not only will FPC get credit for their own event and have data to support their own occupancy rates but, that would mean SBI would get even less money the next year because occupancy would have dropped. Yes your hotel rates might drop a bit but, SBI could loose another 25-35K. It's a vicious circle.
Your right I wouldnt know you if you were standing next to me, but being i knew everyone there I guess yu werent one of them Lol...
If you werent at the meeting what makes you think you know the terms and the conditions of the contract. SBI was pulling out of KW because of funds, so you think after all the BS and trips to CW he is signing with KW for the same money ?? Opions are great but please have your facts straight.

As far as the PR's if they werent there the same rooms would still get filled, there were fans that didnt make the trip because of the lack of rooms. There were also teams that cut staff back because they couldnt get room, so have no fear the rooms will be full.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.