World Championships to Stay in Key West in 2014

Notices

World Championships to Stay in Key West in 2014

Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 554 Likes on 263 Posts
Default World Championships to Stay in Key West in 2014

It's official. The Super Boat International fleet will return to Key West in 2014 for the offshore racing world championships. Mark your calendars now: Nov. 2-9.

http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...y-west-in-2014
Old 12-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I already did. Does anybody really believe it would be moved?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
I already did. Does anybody really believe it would be moved?
Frankly, Pat, yes. A lot of people did.

I interviewed Frank Chivas and Brian Aungst, the two folks most responsible for putting on the Clearwater race. Both are serious men, and they were quite serious about bring the SBI Worlds to Clearwater. The last time I spoke with Mr. Chivas a few weeks ago, he was emphatic that negotiations were still going on. Neither Mr. Chivas nor Mr. Aungst gave me any reason to believe they were not acting in good faith in trying to bring the worlds to their city. On the flip side, neither seemed like a man willing to be played.

Lest anyone believe SBI holding its World elsewhere would be precedent setting, the organization has done it twice to my knowledge. (I covered it when SBI ran in New Orleans.) So it was possible.

Bottom line: SBI is a business. It provides income for its owners and employees. And as a business, it needs to do what is best for the bottom line. Apparently, Key West turned out to be what was best.

Which means, my friend, I will see you there next year.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason Johnson
It's official. The Super Boat International fleet will return to Key West in 2014 for the offshore racing world championships. Mark your calendars now: Nov. 2-9.

http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...y-west-in-2014
That is good news, every year I try to find a way to make it there. Have not suceded yet. It would not be the same somewhere else.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Registered

Kw needed to step up to the plate, it would of been a big hit for them to lose the race.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Frankly, Pat, yes. A lot of people did.

I interviewed Frank Chivas and Brian Aungst, the two folks most responsible for putting on the Clearwater race. Both are serious men, and they were quite serious about bring the SBI Worlds to Clearwater. The last time I spoke with Mr. Chivas a few weeks ago, he was emphatic that negotiations were still going on. Neither Mr. Chivas nor Mr. Aungst gave me any reason to believe they were not acting in good faith in trying to bring the worlds to their city. On the flip side, neither seemed like a man willing to be played.

Lest anyone believe SBI holding its World elsewhere would be precedent setting, the organization has done it twice to my knowledge. (I covered it when SBI ran in New Orleans.) So it was possible.

Bottom line: SBI is a business. It provides income for its owners and employees. And as a business, it needs to do what is best for the bottom line. Apparently, Key West turned out to be what was best.

Which means, my friend, I will see you there next year.
It never dawned on anybody that Clearwater was just being used as a pawn in order to get Key West to step it's game up???
Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
It never dawned on anybody that Clearwater was just being used as a pawn in order to get Key West to step it's game up???
Not for a second CW still wants the race and said if KW doesnt workout 100% they r in and thats fact.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Kw needed to step up to the plate, it would of been a big hit for them to lose the race.
on the money
Old 12-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

Has anyone heard if the PR was going to be a different date. If that was to happen if would work out for the city with another strong week for them. It would free up rooms for the racers and the PR if it was on different dates and give the PR more access to space to put their trailers and equipment.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Public Relations here was all bad PR. This was about as poorly handled as it could of been.

Fact is, the City of Key West hasn't learned anything because they didn't give anything to SBI. The City does not pay for events and they do not provide (pay for) services for events in the City. it a long standing policy. They City has so many events, regardless of the importance of Race/Poker Run week, if you give them something here comes a line of twenty other events with their hand out. So SBI's deal in Key West is the same as before.

This is a simple case of Clearwater pulling back, Sarasota never really being a serious contender and in the end, SBI having to crawl back with it's hat in hand to Key West.

Nothing changed here and yes it is sad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.