Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   J.P. in serious cond./crash in Kentucky (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30658-j-p-serious-cond-crash-kentucky.html)

Hauling Trash 08-11-2002 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wow ,look at the car

R Addiction 08-11-2002 09:48 PM

:( Get well soon!!

BODYSHOT1 08-11-2002 09:48 PM

Best Wishes for a Speedy Recovery....

sean stinson 08-11-2002 09:54 PM

Originally posted by mike merola
wow ,look at the car
Has anyone, besides C-Spray, ever seen the construction of one of these things. I have seen several ground up builds during my years with Dick Simon. If you could construct aboat this way OMG it's the ****....Carbon Fiber with Kevlar inlays and an aluminum honey comb that will flatten when exerted from side but when it is the coring in these cars they withstand 200 mph impacts to a point. The rear end bumper for lack of a more explainable term will withstand a 10 g impact and not shred the car to pieces. And I have definitely seen them stress tested.

Sean

sean stinson 08-11-2002 09:55 PM

From the looks he went into the wall at speed head on!!!!

Ron P 08-11-2002 10:13 PM

Kind of amazing how well the car looks after that impact. I bet a 1950 lead slead caddy would be crushed beyond recognition. His car looks like they could slap a new nose on it and go out again.

dreamer 08-11-2002 10:17 PM

i feel really bad for him... i used to race toyota atlantics against many current CART/ IRL stars... but as the instructors a skip barber say O.S.B... other sports beckon

Maximus 08-11-2002 10:27 PM

Ron

I thought the excact same thing.

Maxximus

T2x 08-11-2002 10:39 PM

I wish him a complete recovery....BUT

Rumrunner......What do you mean that "No one here, or anywhere has the right to comment on his abilities to be in a race car or boat."?

The guy is a dreadful driver............................

And I have every "right" to say it. This is still a free society, no matter what NBC or politically correct educators would have you believe. In addition, he almost killed some boat racers I happen to know and respect.

T2x

C_Spray 08-11-2002 10:39 PM

This was a BIG, BIG hit

The structural damage to that car is very significant. What you don't see in that picture is the 2 1/2 to 3 feet of the car that is missing- just smashed off. The detachable nose is about half of that amount, immensely strong, and is designed to telescope into itself in a controlled manner to absorb A LOT of energy. (When I mean a lot, let me put it this way - you can hit the nose of an Indy car with a 10 lb sledge hammer and not put a big dent into it.) Not only is the nose cone gone, but the chassis has been damaged through the front bulkhead, the crush space, the pedal bulkhead, and all the way into the footwell. This explains the foot injuries. The damage extends even further back into the lower leg area.
The spinal injury is probably a result of gigantic deceleration numbers, probably in the 100's of G's. Even worse, it is clear that these G forces were sustained for a relatively "long" period by accident standards - probably several tenths of a second. In this G range, it is very difficult to get the entire body to decelerate evenly, creating stresses between the various parts. Even if you can get the entire person to slow down evenly, you still have problems with the internal organs (including the brain) colliding with the inside of the body. Besides the listed injuries (serious enough), Jason is going to be a very, very sore boy for several weeks. Still - he has benefitted from the knowledge learned from the misfotune of those who went before - Rick Mears, Jim Crawford, Nelson Piquet, Stan Fox, and others who sustained horrible foot and leg injuries as people learned and technology was applied to the problem. If he had done this in a 1990-vintage car, he would be Jello.