Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
J.P. in serious cond./crash in Kentucky >

J.P. in serious cond./crash in Kentucky

Notices

J.P. in serious cond./crash in Kentucky

Old 08-11-2002, 11:40 PM
PANTERA LOVER

Here is my take on it:
I do feel bad for the guy, but he was trying to play boat racer, car racer etc. This guy is dangerous!! He did not know what he was doing obviousley, but you gotta feel bad for the guy just because of what happend, thats no way to learn a lesson that maybe he shouldnt be doing these things. They have been calling him an "adreniline junky" and i admit i am one also, but there is nothing wrong with that. The guy looked like a schmuck boat racing and he luckily didnt get hurt in that sport. But maybe he learned his lesson this time. I do wish him a good recovery, but he should stop trying to play Mr. wannabe racer, and really stick to one sport and get good at it. Hopefully he can recover to a stage where he can still do some of the things he obviousley has a passion for.

-PANTERA LOVER

Old 08-12-2002, 03:32 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,723 Likes on 3,792 Posts

a speedy recovery to jp, it doesnt matter at this point if he is good at racing or not! but if he fully recovers, at whatever level of racing you do there is a certain risk involved. by saying he should never race is like saying if youre in a car accident you shouldnt drive. yes it is easier for him due to his celebrity status and the money he has made. look at the board see how many boating accidents we've had this year. for most it was their passion, and they lived thier lives to the fullest enjoying what they like to do. pursue your dreams.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:17 AM
BTJ88

Just trying to shed some light on his racing history. This is just info I have picked up from the various news stories on the crash.

He has been racing cars since 1991 or so.

He has done okay for himself. It did take him until 1998 to win a major race, but he has been in the winners circle a few times.

He does not race in the topm level series, but in a lower class.

He has also crashed once before in a race.

Bottom line - the guy has 10+ years experience racing cars and did not just jump into the sport becuase of his celebrity status. It seems that a lot of people are chastising him because of who he is. Now I will agree that he screwed up in Miami, but I don't think that makes him the worlds worst driver. I also agree that he is somewhat of an arogant cocky bastard that doesn't like to take responsibility (but so are most racers - that type of attitude is what helps them get to where tey are), but that still doesn't make him the worlds worst driver. He like many other racers before him had a very unfortunate crash (that I'm sure wasn't his fault ). I wish him the best of luck on his recovery.

Old 08-12-2002, 10:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Best Wishes!
Old 08-12-2002, 10:29 AM
packinair

It seems to me supercrash has moved to the east coast and has a new user name Just wish the guy well and LEAVE IT BE. we all can't be perfect like some people here

Old 08-12-2002, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree in the fact that the guy should not have been racing in a Superboat. I also think the sanctioning body has to take some of the responsiblity since they allowed him to do it. Most other sanctioning bodies will make a driver perform some type of testing, or even run in a lower class until they feel the driver is ready to race in that division.

Yes I think what happened in the boat should have never happened, and I believe it was his own fault, but not being in the boat to know what happened I'm not going to say that. I know I've seen people who I consider a lot better racers crash into other boats, and I haven't heard anything about them !!!
Old 08-13-2002, 07:36 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He has raced cars for some time now beginning I think in that celebrity class they run in Long Beach every year. He then worked his way up through the ranks to where he is today. This wasn't even a full fledged IRL car persay but an Infiniti Pro Series car a little slower and some other differences but we'll save that for another thread. So I guess has he worked his way into cars in a legitimate (for lack of a better word) fashion? Probably!!! I saw the video of the boat race with Dan Cambell and ok he should watch from shore for a while longer I still believe he got put into the turn way too hot for a rookie driver and experienced t-man.....As CSpray said that was a vicious impact he took and I'm sure all the telemetry from the car spiked to the moon upon impact. Anyway if you want to check it out in more detail here's the link. www.indyracing.com It has the full story and he is in a lot better shape than the picture painted here yesterday. He's voluntarily moving all extremities and so forth.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:39 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, and I think CSpray will agree with me, is that the old timers in that game like Dick Simon, Roger Penske, & A.J. Foyt everytime you get in the car with them it's not just a car ride, it's an adventure no matter where you're going...
Old 08-13-2002, 09:31 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm sure we can all agree that great drivers have accidents, and bad drivers have accidents................ The difference is in the "patterns"......

In my opinion the greatest driver of all time, Ayrton(sp) Senna, had a similar crash that cost him his life. This was caused by a faulty steering part. He did not , however, have a series of accidents that season, nor did he get into situations that endangered other drivers (more than the amount of risk one finds in normal competitive motor racing).

There have been long threads on this website, prior to this accident, regarding Jason's mis-adventures and lack of boat racing experience. So the "pattern" was well established. Lost in all this was the fact that he went spinning out of control in the last pro series race before this one......and blamed his pit crew.

Why the interest? The answer is simply that some people do not belong in a race vehicle. Racing requires split second skills and decisions and the ability to take control and responsibility. If you screw up, the victim will very often be the other guy, who has a family and a life that he or she is entitled to maintain.

Remember, bad drivers kill people....and dead lasts a very long time.

Longer than a TV career..............................

Maybe he's a good driver who has been experiencing migraines, or health issues, or concentration issues, or whatever. Who cares? Lives are at stake......... and he has been driving dreadfully.

I wish him a full recovery and sincerely hope he never enters a race course again.

T2x
Old 08-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Allan4

C Spray, great info, thanks for sharing. I understand you have the experience to back up your info. Cool stuff.

Hope the guy is okay, but 11 years of racing is not really a whole hell of alot considering that most guys who are dirving at 180+ mph had 11 years of racing under their belts by the age of 20. HOwever, everyone can make mistakes, but he was probably in over his head. Hope he learns from this. Racing is just one of those things that some can do and others can't. Sometimes you just can't be "taught" to drive correctly. Natural insticnts and ability play heavily, just as in the wide reciever who can run a 4.3 40 yard dash.....that just can't be taught. From what I understand he should make a full recovery, wish him well no matter what some folks say he is or isn't in person. Later.

Quick Reply: J.P. in serious cond./crash in Kentucky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.