Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Racine trip wave height questio for all there. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30662-racine-trip-wave-height-questio-all-there.html)

Intolerant1 08-11-2002 02:08 PM

Racine trip wave height questio for all there.

First off it was a great time meeting everyone. A little rough for us given we were the smallest boat. The fact that my wife is recovering from a concussion and Im scheduling a back surgery tomorrow didnt help. We slowed up on the way up north and I appreciate the fact that several of you waited up for us. We just plowed our back back to Northpoint but it was fun watching the bigger boats run on top of it.

I have a question regarding the conditions. My wife and I both felt the waves when leaving Racine heading south were in the 3-4 foot max range calming to 2 or so near Northpoint. I heard a couple others state they felt the waves were 5 and 6 footers leaving Racine. I know there is alot of debate over measuring wave height so I would like to hear everyones opinions. There was a occasional "hole" in the water but Im talking on the avaerage.

Payton 08-11-2002 05:06 PM

Maybe 4-5's with an ocasional 6 thrown in? The forecast was for 1-3's for Chicago They seemed to be just that by the time we got to Northpoint. Then grew as we got to Racine. Then added another foot by the time we left.

Maybe I am simply remembering how they looked from my old Mirage last year.:D

Back4More 08-11-2002 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Payton
Maybe 4-5's with an ocasional 6 thrown in? :D
I agree...4-5's with 6's now and then.

Intolerant1 08-11-2002 07:20 PM

At 6'4" I guess I just didnt see any of those waves as being over my head if I had been standing on the beach when they rolled in. I usually judge by how far my bow raises and drops.

ActiveThunderTodd 08-11-2002 09:51 PM

With out question 4-5' May an occasional 6 up north near Racine.

candyman35 08-12-2002 12:03 AM

Intolerant1,
I have to agree with the 4's to 5's. There were lots of props spinning freely on the way home. It calmed down when we neared NP. The ride down to Hammond was perfect.
Dan

rv 08-12-2002 08:37 AM

Not sure on the wave height but I think the marine forecast may have been off a little with 1-3'.

Payton,
You guys should have hung out at Northpoint for about another hour. The lake settled right down about 6:00. The only thing is that may have made it dark about the time you arrived home.

Chris, talk about dedicated boaters, you two were it. For both of you to be out in that with your conditions was true dedication. I hope everything is ok and recovery is quick.

Rick

MrCIG 08-12-2002 03:30 PM

I agree with the 4' to 5' wave height. There were some pretty big ones every so often. It was fun because they didn't last the whole trip. It was a nice mix of wave conditions.

Mark

Cord 08-12-2002 05:08 PM

White caps or just chop?

42 SS 08-12-2002 05:12 PM

I thought it was more like 3-4's, but in any case it sure made it fun!

rv, you were right it did calm down later on giving us a chance to throw a hook with Todd and Tracy. Tracy I hope your feeling better.

Great trip guys would love to do it again.

Steve and Connie