If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Racine trip wave height questio for all there.

First off it was a great time meeting everyone. A little rough for us given we were the smallest boat. The fact that my wife is recovering from a concussion and Im scheduling a back surgery tomorrow didnt help. We slowed up on the way up north and I appreciate the fact that several of you waited up for us. We just plowed our back back to Northpoint but it was fun watching the bigger boats run on top of it.

I have a question regarding the conditions. My wife and I both felt the waves when leaving Racine heading south were in the 3-4 foot max range calming to 2 or so near Northpoint. I heard a couple others state they felt the waves were 5 and 6 footers leaving Racine. I know there is alot of debate over measuring wave height so I would like to hear everyones opinions. There was a occasional "hole" in the water but Im talking on the avaerage.

Charter Member #927 Charter Member Payton's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 34' Super Hawaii
    Maybe 4-5's with an ocasional 6 thrown in? The forecast was for 1-3's for Chicago They seemed to be just that by the time we got to Northpoint. Then grew as we got to Racine. Then added another foot by the time we left.

Maybe I am simply remembering how they looked from my old Mirage last year.

VIP Member VIP Member Back4More's Avatar
    My Boats:
    353 Fastech
    Lake Michigan
    Originally posted by Payton
    Maybe 4-5's with an ocasional 6 thrown in?
    I agree...4-5's with 6's now and then.
    Last edited by Back4More; 08-12-2002 at 10:40 AM.

At 6'4" I guess I just didnt see any of those waves as being over my head if I had been standing on the beach when they rolled in. I usually judge by how far my bow raises and drops.

Charter Member Charter Member ActiveThunderTodd's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '99 32' Active Thunder
    Roscoe, Illinois
    With out question 4-5' May an occasional 6 up north near Racine.

My Boats:
    1997 35' Fountain
    Tinley Park, IL
    I have to agree with the 4's to 5's. There were lots of props spinning freely on the way home. It calmed down when we neared NP. The ride down to Hammond was perfect.

Hawthorn Woods, IL
    Not sure on the wave height but I think the marine forecast may have been off a little with 1-3'.

You guys should have hung out at Northpoint for about another hour. The lake settled right down about 6:00. The only thing is that may have made it dark about the time you arrived home.

Chris, talk about dedicated boaters, you two were it. For both of you to be out in that with your conditions was true dedication. I hope everything is ok and recovery is quick.

Charter Member#330 Charter Member MrCIG's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1985 38 Cigarette 2004 Formula 400SS
    I agree with the 4' to 5' wave height. There were some pretty big ones every so often. It was fun because they didn't last the whole trip. It was a nice mix of wave conditions.

Last edited by MR.CIG; 08-12-2002 at 05:29 PM.
    If you like it rough do it OFFSHORE!!!

Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Mequon, WI
    White caps or just chop?

42 SS
    I thought it was more like 3-4's, but in any case it sure made it fun!

rv, you were right it did calm down later on giving us a chance to throw a hook with Todd and Tracy. Tracy I hope your feeling better.

Great trip guys would love to do it again.

Steve and Connie