Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tony Stewart wins at Watkins Glen!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30669-tony-stewart-wins-watkins-glen.html)

Whiteknuckle 08-13-2002 12:41 PM

Hey, you guys need to lighten up and go for a boat ride or something. I do not condone athletes taking punches at the media, although often times the media will look for a person like Stewart with a bad temper, and provoke them, to get that bad reaction. They did it for years with A.J. Foyt, and Dale Sr.
Speaking of a comparison with Cup Drivers and Formula 1, there was an article in National Speed Sport News that an exhibition is being considered, I believe at Indianapolis, with Jeff Gordon and Juan Montoya. They will each drive a F1 car then switch to a cup car. Now that should be fun!

Flyinbrian 08-13-2002 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Whiteknuckle
an exhibition is being considered, I believe at Indianapolis, with Jeff Gordon and Juan Montoya. They will each drive a F1 car then switch to a cup car. Now that should be fun!
I am a huge race fan and F1 is my favorite by far, but this one sounds like a tough one to call. Who would you go with? Jeff is an excellent road course driver, (assuming they will use the Indy road course for the F1 cars), but in an F1 car?

I keep thinking of poor old Zanardi in the IROC car when I picture Montoya driving a cup car! I swear he went through every back up car they had at more than one race!

I think Montoya has the upper hand in this competition, just because of his familiarity to the complex makings of the F1 car. The 1975 technology of the Winston Cup car will take Montoya ten minutes to get aquainted with. I think we'll find out how good Montoya is driving by the seat of his pants. No traction control, a car that weighs more than a house, etc.

As far as ability, who knows? If Gordon and Montoya had equal experience in both forms of racing, it would be a fair comparison on who the better driver is.

Whiteknuckle 08-13-2002 01:52 PM

I would expect that each one would far excell in their respective type of cars. All of these guys are good beyond belief when at this level. I think Gordon has more experience in open wheel cars than Juan has in stocks, although Jeffs experience is with front engine open wheel, except for go-carts. I really don't believe IROC has meant anything since they abandoned the original concept with the Porche's. The series was part ovals, part natural terrain road courses, and the cars were just a little different than anything any of the drivers were driving. Since they went all oval in a big ass stock car, how is a guy like Zanardi going to have a chance trying to push a car he is unfamiliar with to the limit on NASCAR tracks? IROC was a great concept, now meaningless.

ssmith76 08-13-2002 02:08 PM

Good Driver

Regardless of his attitude, He drove the wheel of that car at the Glen, I still hate him.

Whiteknuckle 08-13-2002 03:43 PM

Exactly, you hate him, but you still knew where he was. That was like Dale Sr., you liked him or you hated him, but even the people that hated him were still aware of where he was and what he was doing. And, thats just what Winston Cup needs now.

Whiteknuckle 08-13-2002 04:06 PM

MrOffshore,
I agree 100%, well said.

Allan4 08-13-2002 05:16 PM

Mr Offshore, I agree to an extent, but that's to big of a blanket for all the media. Noisy, opinionated, truth bending, instigating, antagonizing.......keep going.....?? While there are many good journalists who formulate a story with professionalism, there are just as many arrogant egomaniacs who belive that just because it is there opinion and they have a mode to proclaim it as such, that it must be right. Sometimes they have no more knowledge than joe public, just a better means of promoting thier words while they complain childlessly about the free meal at the race track.

I side with the drivers/athletes/celebrities whne they "overreact" to bossy mediatypes who ignore professional courtesy. However, I also think that they have a job to do and need to walk as close to the thin line as possible. Sometimes you need to step on some toes, but it happens way to often.

As for the Stewart thing, he has a temper and in today's world of big $$ sponsors and images, you need to put a leash on that dog. He knows better and screwed up. Whether he beleives that or not, Gibbs/Stewart and Home Depot are doing a hell of a PR bandaid job. The guy probably deserved to get punched, but multi $$ dollar athletes have made their way to the top by making good desions (generally) and that needs to continue. I doubt that Stewart feels he is "above" anyone, he's just a fireball who was caught up in the heat of the moment. Anyone who has ever played sports or raceknows this phenom. I like him becasue he can drive and doesn't take any crap from anyone. That's what makes these guys the best, whether they are voicesturious about it or not

T2x 08-13-2002 05:32 PM

Yeah!.......the G.D. media....boy oh boy are they annoying. Those announcers that jump in your face right after the race and ask the same tired questions...... a bunch of clueless losers if you ask m..................er......ummm....... heh heh...... I used to be the media.... oops

Thank goodness I became "obsolete" ;)

But here's a fresh viewpoint........ I'll bet you if Tony Stewart had been in that boat with Dan Campbell...... Dan would have lost some teeth.

T2x