Why a cig boat and not a cruiser? >

Why a cig boat and not a cruiser?

Notices

Why a cig boat and not a cruiser?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtopgun
You are right about catching the bug. What is a good first cig type boat? I'm on Lake Erie.
Your name says it all.... Mr. TOPGUN
Old 01-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I think there is a big misconception of speed on the water. Mine is not fast by no means as it tops out at 68, but I cruise with the kids at 50-55. Now having grown up on the water in S La., we didn't have any friends with go fast, but 60-70mph in a flat bottom skiff with a 200 merc or a 17' bass boat running same speed was fast and could be scary if you had any kind of rough water.

That said, cruising 50 thru 1-2's my kids (5 & 8) can walk back and forth from cuddy to bench while we cruise along doesn't bother thm at all and very smooth. Now, the skiff or bass boat, your hanging on watching for anything that coukd throw you out!

Would also like a cruiser too as mentioned... amenities are a big plus!

Last edited by nailit; 01-02-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I grew up fishing bass tournaments and running 80 on those types of boats. Married early 20's and bought a number of express cruisers (had 6 Sundancers from 27-35). By the time I was in my early 30's we had traveled and seen most everything around us within 4 hour runs. Invited and ran a poker run on a buddies 38 Fountain and even my wife was hooked.

Within 6 weeks we sold the cruiser and bought a 31 Formula. Not so much for the thrill/speed but for the ability to extend our destinations. A destination we regularly visited in a 33 Sundancer that took 4 hours to get to now took 1:45 min. We later built motors in a 38 Formula and cruised 60-70, even circled the entire Chesapeake Bay twice. I never really ran the Formulas for speed and even propped them for optimal mid-range at the expense of top end (still ran 98 when I wanted). I remember running along the ocean front one day doing 72mph (fast cruise) and my wife was sitting beside me reading a magazine......some (not all) of these boats are incredible stable at speed and getting over 100-120 mph is not as common as it may appear.

Today we have a 21 ft center console and water-sport with the kids. For thrills I now have a mustang built for road racing and compete wheel-2-wheel at several regional tracks

Last edited by t500hps; 01-02-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Catawba Island over by Port Clinton if you are familiar with it.I guess i need to try it out, love speed but i love beer and loud music with lots of woman !!!
Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
I grew up fishing bass tournaments and running 80 on those types of boats. Married early 20's and bought a number of express cruisers (had 6 Sundancers from 27-35). By the time I was in my early 30's we had traveled and seen most everything around us within 4 hour runs. Invited and ran a poker run on a buddies 38 Fountain and even my wife was hooked.

Within 6 weeks we sold the cruiser and bought a 31 Formula. Not so much for the thrill/speed but for the ability to extend our destinations. A destination we regularly visited in a 33 Sundancer that took 4 hours to get to now took 1:45 min. We later built motors in a 38 Formula and cruised 60-70, even circled the entire Chesapeake Bay twice. I never really ran the Formulas for speed and even propped them for optimal mid-range at the expense of top end (still ran 98 when I wanted). I remember running along the ocean front one day doing 72mph (fast cruise) and my wife was sitting beside me reading a magazine......some (not all) of these boats are incredible stable at speed and getting over 100-120 mph is not as common as it may appear.

Today we have a 21 ft center console and water-sport with the kids. For thrills I now have a mustang built for road racing and compete wheel-2-wheel at several regional tracks
So have you ever ran VIR with your mustang? Fun track ove turn 1 and the climb up the hill, on a bike though.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

very familiar, I am there every weekend from April-Nov.... I am at KI every weekend....
I'm in Catawba Island over by Port Clinton if you are familiar with it.I guess i need to try it out, love speed but i love beer and loud music with lots of woman !!!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

So have you ever ran VIR with your mustang? Fun track ove turn 1 and the climb up the hill, on a bike though.
Only a dozen + weekends, that is my "home" track . I started "HPDE" 2.5 years ago and got my competition license last summer. I run with NASA in CMC. Basically low budget mustang/camaros with 5 other faster classes on track with us (kind of like Grand Am). Last race I finished poorly on Sat (5th of 9) but won in the rain on Sunday.

At 3,300lbs and 260 RWhp we come under the bridge and never lift going up the esses at about 110-115.......I'm sure your running much faster on a bike though. Our Feb race has been postponed because they repaved the track 2 weeks ago and want it to sit til March before getting abused. I've seen track maps showing where they have widened it in some areas and everyone expects track records to fall come spring.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

He said 80 on a ski, funny guy welcome aboard
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Started at 14 with my dads 19' wellcraft cc fishing. Started drag racing cars at 16 and was hooked on the rumble of the go fast boats tearing up the tickfaw river. Fast foward 12 years. On My second go fast, part owner of the tickfaw 200 poker run. Have a alum 22' cc for coastal finishing a go devil for the swamp and dad now has a 40' alantic trawler. Oh and one is always broke lol
For me it's the thrill of the boat, the look,sound, all the things you did do make it yours friends, trips etc. can't beat 2 540s with dry exhoust cranking up at the docks.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I like most boats, I have owned 12 boats as someone pointed out earlier in the thread every boat has it's pro's and con's and if you can afford a couple of boats you would have the best of both worlds. I have had 4 run about\ski type boats to pull the kids around, I have also had 4 express cruisers mixed with 4 go fast type boats. I always liked the go fasts but my ex-wife liked the cruisers. I don't run real fast my boat tops out at 68 but it cruises pretty good at 50. What I like to tell people about why I like the go fasts over an express is the experience of driving a go fast compared to a cruiser is like comparing driving a corvette to driving a motor home. The go fast cuts the water better, runs almost effortlessly across the water where as the cruiser more or less lumbers along seeming to need almost full throttle to just stay on plane, with the sounds of cabinet doors and dishes banging around every time you hit a wave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.